Advice needed for purchase of a gaming laptop

vnx

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015
Hello all,

New to the forum and I am looking for some help in regards to a purchase of a gaming laptop.

I have sold my desktop that is 2 years old as I would like to turn to laptop gaming due to me being able to easily take it from room to room / house to house etc. I don't get time to play my desktop however I am currently using my old laptop more (Dell XPS L502).

I am looking for a gaming laptop within the range of £800-£1500 max that will last me for a good few years (in gaming terms) and can use for a general laptop / work.

The games I play are Elder Scrolls Online and look to purchase GTA 5 when it releases for PC. Ideally I would like to play these in highest settings with a good fps but ultimately the laptop stays cool and not feel like its burning up.

I've had a look around at alienware, cyberpower and gigabyte but for all the technical jargon Its a bit over whelming!

So please tomsguide community, can you lend some help :)

Regards

Solution
The Alienware 15 is actually a decent gaming laptop for the money. It comes with a GTX 970m which will last you a good while and comes with an ssd too for about 1500$ (In the US). Don't know how much it is in Europe though. MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte also have great laptops in this range with the 970m. For you it seems GPU is priority so make sure whatever you get comes with a 970m or 980m.

jd_w98

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
The Alienware 15 is actually a decent gaming laptop for the money. It comes with a GTX 970m which will last you a good while and comes with an ssd too for about 1500$ (In the US). Don't know how much it is in Europe though. MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte also have great laptops in this range with the 970m. For you it seems GPU is priority so make sure whatever you get comes with a 970m or 980m.

Solution

vnx

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015

Hi thanks for the reply.

Not that I'm judging your opinion but with alienware are u paying more for the name rather than the performance? Also do these heat up quickly or do they stay relatively cool during gaming.

Thanks again :)