Advice on getting a good speaker for pc

DeumBelli

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014
Ok so i have been wanting to get a good speaker setup for my pc for a long time now since i am using built in monitor speakers and they are just terrible. For a while now ive been thinking about getting the logitech z623 speaker because i want to have speakers where it has good bass and i can adjust the bass on it.

My question is is this a good speaker to get for my needs? I will mostly be using this for videos, watching shows, and music. I would like to be able to have low volume for when others are home and loud when no one is home which is the reason i figured a better quality speaker setup would be better than some cheap ones. So if i do get these speakers will it be good as is or will i need anything such as a sound card or anything? Also, i have realtek hd audio manager and it doesnt seem to have a 2.1 stereo option as for as i can tell and i googled it to be safe it seems some people have trouble getting the bass for 2.1 to work and others dont. I cant find a clear answer so im worried i get these and the subwoofer wont even work.

If for whatever reason you need any specs to help me feel free to ask.

Also if anyone has any speaker advice it would be very appreciated because i know nothing about audio.

I have been on the fence of whether or not to buy these speakers for probably 2 or 3 months now and i figured its about time i decide.

Solution
To be perfectly honest, I haven't a clue. I have no idea how large your room is. To some people, 30'x30' is small. To others, 6'x9' is a palace. All I'm saying is that for my 11'x14' room, my X-530s at 7.4 watts per channel was pretty good. The X623 (2.1 speaker system) you're interested in are rated at 35 watts per channel; almost five times the output of my X-530s. However, the Z313s are only rated for 50 watts total peak. Per speaker, they're probably around the same as my X-530s.

So again, it boils down to room size and just how much of a full room sound you're really looking to achieve. I'd note that if I pushed my X-530s as loud as I could, my room mate could complain incessantly.

In my best guesstimate (and it is only a...
I'd say it depends on your motherboard and the size of the room the computer is in.

10 years ago, I added a Creative XTremeMusic sound card and a set of Logitech X-530 speakers to my set up in the 11'x14' room I was living in at the time. For the size room I lived in at the time, that was good enough. The audio filled the room when I watched movies. When I moved into a larger living space, I found that it just wasn't enough and eventually, I had to purchase a full sized home theater system to fill my audio needs.

10 years later, I've used my HTPCs motherboard's optical audio out to my $300ish Onkyo HT-S3300 Home Theater system and it more than fills up my 13'x22' living room (but also irritates my apartment neighbors).

So how large is your video viewing room and what motherboard does your system have? Most on-board audio systems today make discrete audio cards obsolete.

-Wolf sends

DeumBelli

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014

i have an msi z97 gaming 5 motherboard and im not sure on the exact size of my room but it is fairly small

Most modern gaming boards have decent audio quality. I don't think you'll need a discrete sound card. As for what speakers to go with, again, my X-530s are a good 10 years old and they weren't even top of the line back then. They work, but I have no idea what newer speaker systems are like. If your viewing room is around or slightly larger than my original room size, then I think a simple set of PC speakers would be more than enough. If it's much larger, then you'll want to go larger.

As a very, VERY rough guesstimate, the average persons stride is between 2.5 and 3 ft. If it takes you more than six strides to cross the room in either direction, then maybe you should be looking at a Home Theater solution. Otherwise, a good set of PC speakers should be more than enough.

-Wolf sends

DeumBelli

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014

so you are saying those speakers would most likely be to much for my room? If so what about the logitech z313

To be perfectly honest, I haven't a clue. I have no idea how large your room is. To some people, 30'x30' is small. To others, 6'x9' is a palace. All I'm saying is that for my 11'x14' room, my X-530s at 7.4 watts per channel was pretty good. The X623 (2.1 speaker system) you're interested in are rated at 35 watts per channel; almost five times the output of my X-530s. However, the Z313s are only rated for 50 watts total peak. Per speaker, they're probably around the same as my X-530s.

So again, it boils down to room size and just how much of a full room sound you're really looking to achieve. I'd note that if I pushed my X-530s as loud as I could, my room mate could complain incessantly.

In my best guesstimate (and it is only a guess), I'd say for 90% of your viewing, the Z313s would likely serve your purposes just fine. If you're looking to go a little over the top and make sure you've got full room sound (even if you can't use it when your room mate is home), go with the Z623.

-Wolf sends

Solution