advice on new laptop for 3d graphics (listed specifics)

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Hey guys, I'm looking to build a new laptop but trying to keep the price within reason. I already have a desktop I use for gaming and 3D graphics (3ds max). I'm looking for a laptop that I can do 3D stuff on so I can get out of the house (or to another part of the house) so I'm not cooped up in my bedroom all the time when I want to work. Gaming isn't all that important but I do need a dedicated video card. I also know notebook C2D prices will drop in September. My goal is to keep the cost of the laptop to $1400-ish or less. Here's where I'm stuck:

8400GS vs 8600GT: Is the GT worth $100 more? Would I be OK with the 8400GS if I'm mostly using the laptop for Photoshop and 3ds Max?

C2D t5250 vs t7500: With prices coming down in the fall, would I be better off getting the 5250 now and buying a t7500 in September? Can I replace the CPU with an HP or a Dell?

Integrated SB Audigy vs integrated Hi-Def audio (Dell): Is there a big difference in performance if I want to game?

WXGA vs WSXGA: Does anyone here use laptops for graphic work (especially 3D graphics)? is WXGA OK or is the WSXGA really a necessity for toolbar room? I'm used to working on a 24" monitor on my desktop.

Wireless N vs ABG: Should I get wireless N? If so, what's the better offering? The manufacturer's (Dell/HP) N solution or the PRO/Wireless 4965AGN mini card?

DVD burner: Got a plenty fast one one my desktop. Should I save the $40 and just get a CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive on the laptop?

I know I'm asking you all to hold my hand on this but I'm used to building my own desktops where if I'm not happy with something I can just swap it out. This is my first leap into laptophood and I want to make sure I'm doing it right. If I had $1800 to blow, I'd just get a loaded Dell Inspiron or the Asus G1S. I hate budgets....

Thanks!

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003

Yes it's worth is for 3DSMax. Also better to have large VRAM if possible. But remember this is for viewport speed no improvement on final render so depending on what you're doing with it you'd be much better with fasterst CPU + Big RAM versus the boost from the graphics, but it will help with previews and wireframes, etc.

C2D t5250 vs t7500: With prices coming down in the fall, would I be better off getting the 5250 now and buying a t7500 in September? Can I replace the CPU with an HP or a Dell?

T5250 (1.5ghz) will a right DOG in something like 3DSMax, which needs CPU horsepower more than anything for final render. Avoid at all costs, go with even an old T7200 with a lower graphics card (like GFGO7600/X1600 if you had to ).

Integrated SB Audigy vs integrated Hi-Def audio (Dell): Is there a big difference in performance if I want to game?

That audigy is software based so don't bother with it. For the price Dell want's for the software model, you're about halfway to the true hardware based Audigy2ZS I have in my rig, and even then I have to disable it for playing Oblivion because not all games get along with the PCMCIA's bus communication. Go with the Azalia or whatever standard HD-Audio, the SB Audigy won't offer much performance or quality difference (still the same Op amps and hardware etc).

WXGA vs WSXGA: Does anyone here use laptops for graphic work (especially 3D graphics)? is WXGA OK or is the WSXGA really a necessity for toolbar room? I'm used to working on a 24" monitor on my desktop.

Go with the added desktop space if you get the capable graphics card. But if you go with the cheap card, then get the lower resolution. I prefer the more pixels the better since I'm a 2D pixel whore, but even for my 3D work, I want deskspace so I would rather work with a small 3D window but with more tool space. My next laptop is going to be WUXGA if I can help it.

Wireless N vs ABG: Should I get wireless N? If so, what's the better offering? The manufacturer's (Dell/HP) N solution or the PRO/Wireless 4965AGN mini card?

IMO overall not worth worrying about the difference, usually the bottleneck will be elsewhere, unless you use NAS storage on the network. And then it will depend alot on compatability with your router. Personally I low using 802.11A in my short range due to less interference, and also less security worries (few people run 802.11A, or scan for it). 802.11N is a nice boost for NAS, but without it, you won't care much. And for surfing or somethig you wouldn't saturate B let alone the rest. But for video over Wifi you may want N, but even G and A will be fine for most SDTV content on a good connection/signal.

DVD burner: Got a plenty fast one one my desktop. Should I save the $40 and just get a CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive on the laptop?

That's a personal choice, depends on your intended useage. IMO Only if you can roll the money into something better elsewhere. DVD-R is handy to export things off your PC, but if you're good at networking it maybe you can transfer to PC to Burn, but on the road it's handy. I happen to have 2 external LG DVD-RW/RAM burners (8X firewire+USB2 / 16X USB2) so I never worry, but hey if you have a large memory stick you may not even care anymore. I have a 4GB memory stick, plus portable readers plus tons of SD cards. So if you have a digital camera with a 2-4GB memory card and a jumdrive style reader housing, you may not need a DVD drive. But like I said it's a personal call, for me it's worth thr usually $25 diff just for the convenience, so is it worth the $40 to you. Also increases resale value if that means anything to you.

I know I'm asking you all to hold my hand on this but I'm used to building my own desktops where if I'm not happy with something I can just swap it out. This is my first leap into laptophood and I want to make sure I'm doing it right. If I had $1800 to blow, I'd just get a loaded Dell Inspiron or the Asus G1S. I hate budgets....

Yeah if you had the money I'd recommend the G1S, especially with that nice eSATA. I'm currently looking at the G2S for myself (but I prefer the HP and Gateway Chassis or the A7S chassis), but waiting for more options to come out, hate waiting, but sometimes it's a must.

Now for Dell For $1400 ($1394) this is what I configured that I'd prefer of their options;
Ruby Red
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache)
Genuine Windows ® Vista Home Basic Edition (I'd blow that out for XP / 2K if it were me, move to Vista later)
High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch display (1680x1050)
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8600M GT
FREE! 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
160G 7200RPM SATA HDD
CD writer / DVD player (Combo Drive)
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini-Card
No Webcam Option
56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
High Definition Audio 2.0

Now I wouldn't pay the money for the DVD-Drive or the extra Wifi, if it meant I can get the 160GB 7200RPM drive, which will definitely help 3DSMax.

Now if you do plan on using this alot unplugged, then definitely spend the $50 extra on the bigger battery (9cell).
Next upgrade for me in order would be CPU ($100 to move to T7500) then the Burner for $50. The Wifi you can always add via a USB or ExpressCard solution for the $50 extra they want for N, and unless you already have A (like me) then than $25 is a waste IMO. Now of course if you use the following code TSD1$NG00WFD4N you can add the burner, T7500, wireless and Bluetooth and the Audigy;
http://www.notebookreview.com/dellCoupon.asp

But I'd say shop around, you can often find better deals than Dell (although I found them good for LCD options which usually jack up the price) if you look hard enough, but hopefully this gives you a good idea of what someone else would do with Gaming and Workstation Apps in mind.

I don't check enough US prices to give you a good Idea for value, but I do love browsing the deals at NoteBook Reviews;
http://www.notebookreview.com/deals/

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
WOW THANKS

I really appreciate that help. The ONLY reason I'd want to get the 5250 now is because in 3 months I can get the t7500 for cheaper than the upgrade is now. I wouldn't do any rendering in 3ds Max on the laptop till I got the upgraded processor. Question is - Can you upgrade Dell notebook procs with retail boxed ones?

That, and that coupon is awesome! Problem is, I can't get it to work no matter how I go about it. Did you already try applying it? That would get my cost down to exactly where I want it (or even lower!)

Thanks!

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003

You can upgrade them, but of course that voids the warranty basically unless you have Dell do it which costs as much as a new laptop. To me I find that I prefer to build for the more robust processor from the start to ensure that they include the best heatsink/pipe in the original build. Then if I wanted to go from say a 2ghz Pentium M to a 2Ghz T7200 I would be pretty confident that it could handle it. Personally I'd go with the model T7xx you can afford be it T7100, 7300 or 7500 and then from there uprade later when the prices come down. You can go with a 5250, but considering the small price difference it wouldn't be worth it to me to go through the trouble, and to 'hope' Dell didn't muck the BIOS keeping me from upgrading it myself. DELL is notorious for stangling the BIOS. I'd even take the T7100 up front over the 5250, $100 for the the piece of mind of at least that performance.

That, and that coupon is awesome! Problem is, I can't get it to work no matter how I go about it. Did you already try applying it? That would get my cost down to exactly where I want it (or even lower!)

I didn't try the coupon, simply because I'm in Canada, and the US coupons don't work for me, the minute I log-in, bamm redirected to the Canadian site, so I didn't bother logging-in. I'm surprised it didn't work, but did you log-in first? That's required to apply the discounts.
If it still gives you problems I would recommend calling the Dell support line and then walking them through your configuration with the coupon code. I'm not sure if they're already appplying another discount prior to the code, but I hope that code works for you, it definitely makes the Dell's more attractive.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Jet Black
T7300 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache)
Vista Home Basic Edition
15.4 inch display (1680x1050)
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
160G 7200RPM SATA HDD
CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
No Webcam Option
85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)

Total after Coupon: $1249

That's my current setup.

1) I looked into 3ds max performance between the t7300 & t7500 and there's only a 9% difference. Besides, I can go up to the t7700 in time when 4GB is useful (and cheap). More sensible upgrade when the time comes.

2) I opted for the wireless N because I already have an N router (Linksys WRT150 - got it new for $39) and I plan to network my two PC's. I also hate USB and PC cards on laptops.

3) I opted out of the DVD-RW drive because I have a USB 4GB flashdrive.

4) Jet Black - will match my bag and mouse I'll use (logitech mx518)

Lemme know your thoughts on my setup/price matchup. You definitely know what you're talking about and I won't take any criticism personally. If you think I should just go for the t7500 now and F the N (total $1299), then lemme know.

Thanks for all your help!!!

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003

No, I like your build, and I like the reasoning behind it (also you know Black and red match in a very Milano kind of way. :lol:
I think the T7500 would be nice, but at $100, isn't that big a deal to be worth it if you're ok with a few more seconds or minutes on a render, and hey you could turn any extra cash into software or whatever.

If you're going to network 2 PCs then the 802.11N makes alot of sense, and like I said, if you're comfortable with and have a big memory stick, DVD-R isn't a concern.

I like the build, I think it'll do what you need it to do very well, with a good balance of power/features and portability.

Thanks for all your help!!!

No problem, glad to help.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
...also you know Black and red match in a very Milano kind of way. :lol:

Ha ha...I hear ya, but my bag has dark army-greenish accents which don't work so nice with the Ruby Red.

That 7200RPM drive with the 9-cell: Is that pretty much the equivalent (battery life-wise) to the 5400RPM drive and a 6-cell?

Actually, Do you think I should throw the DVD-RW on for resale purposes?

Last question: Speed-wise (and for a $100 wash) which would make a bigger performance difference? 7200RPM HDD or the t7500?

Thanks again Ape! I have till next week to make up my mind (unless they cut that coupon short like they did the $350 one. Ugh)

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003

No, I think you'll get much more battery life out of the 9cell, the 7200RPM drive doesn't eat 50% more battery. To improve battery life you may want to try the ready boost thing in Vista with a good size fast memory stick at some point and see if it gves you a bit better times (when the driving isn't spinning up to jst refresh saves and such. I've seen mixed results on that sofar so check your own mileage and see if you benefit.

Actually, Do you think I should throw the DVD-RW on for resale purposes?

Yes I do, like I mentioned, for us who are smart enough to know the options and have options, it's an either/or thing. For someone looking at second hand or looking to do everything in one rig, then they will focus on the small things, like can they make home movies on it. Trying to explain to them 'well you can add an external, or do this or that' just puts another reason not to buy it from ou in the mix. If you are focusing on re-selling in the next year or two, I would recommend a burner, especially on something that will likely be someone's 'entertainment laptop' more than gaming laptop at that time (when the GF9600M or 10600M or whatever are out there and make it look old [my MRX700 held up surprisingly well so far, but now is getting old and I couldn't sell it to a gamer if I tried]).

Last question: Speed-wise (and for a $100 wash) which would make a bigger performance difference? 7200RPM HDD or the t7500?

IMO for what you're doing, I'd go with the harddrive. If you were going with the ASUS I'd say you could compromise and go with the fast drive in the eSATA, but in this case I'd get the faster HD.
The HDDs will be close, but it is a more signfnificant leap usually from the 5400s to the 7200, but there are both fast 5400s (especially the perpendicular drives) and slow 7200s, so if it's a big concern, you may want to check a review of the drives if you can find one.
If you're planning on upgrading the CPU later then you'll regret having a 5400RPM drive (which will slow down projects as well as load times for games. The CPU will increase render performance a bit, and might boost min fps. So the main thing IMO is what you feel best upgrading on your own, because IMO the HDD is the way to go now, but if you're comfortable finding a 2nd hand 9but warrantied) 7200 drive then you can swap that pretty easily. So while that's not the simple A vs B answer I think you're hoping for I hope it explains my position in a way you can decide what's best for you.

For me I'm getting the fast CPU and the medium speed HDD, because I want battery life, and do more 2D than 3D, and hopefully I will be able to get the Robson option (with a working BIOS) on my laptop, and then when SDDs come down in price go with that too, mainly for the mobile computing, and then when I need it suck the speed of the eSATA when I'm at home doing the hard stuff like gaming and rendering.

Thanks again Ape! I have till next week to make up my mind (unless they cut that coupon short like they did the $350 one. Ugh)

Again you're welcome, and happy building, and good luck with those coupons and such, I know how much of a pain they are, we have special ones with our company for vendors, and while they basically take double the tax off, it's a hassle to get them all in a row, and sometimes that seemingly small amount adds up. I found Dell almost impossible to deal with online, and I ended up calling, at which point I got a few extra deals after talking to their biz relations guy.
Anywhoo, good luck, and hope all the work pays off.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Dang Ape, you really go all out when replying to posts! Thank you SO MUCH for helping me out on this. I called Dell. Turns out, you can't (or shouldn't) go any faster than a t7500 in the Inspiron 1520's due to lack of space/cooling so I'm just gonna pay the extra $$ for the proc now. I'm gonna pass on the 9-cell for two reasons - looks ugly, and I'll probably be plugged in most of the time. If I'm in one spot with my laptop and the battery is about to die (after 2-2.5 hours), it's probably time for me to pack up and move on/go home/find an outlet anyway.

Also, with your plethora of knowledge, you've got me second-guessing the 7200RPM drive again. Forgot about the SSD's. Could be a good upgrade someday. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the 7200RPM drive won't make programs run faster, just load faster. Right? I've also noticed it's a 160GB HDD. I can't find one that big ANYWHERE for sale on it's own. Just 100's or smaller. I don't trust that. I know of 7200RPM notebook drives being as slow/slower than 5400's. I think I'll go with the 5400 now and upgrade the drive maybe when Hitachi, Samsung, or Seagate offer a 160/200 or something with SSD. Then I can at least use the 5400 for a backup.

Not to mention it's a hell of lot easier to upgrade in a notebook than the CPU...ha ha...

Can't thank you enough my friend. Very much appreciated indeed.

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003

Probably a good call, but rememebr the Dell guy is basing that on current procs. And while the 45nm high end notebook CPUs should be hotter due to voltage+speed compatability with the current socket, likely the just under the top will be about the same as the current T7500, but still have a performance advantage, although that's a guess on my part. But seeing as those chips are about a year away, no rush. And hey it might just make sense to sell and rebuy at that time anyways.

I'm gonna pass on the 9-cell for two reasons - looks ugly, and I'll probably be plugged in most of the time. If I'm in one spot with my laptop and the battery is about to die (after 2-2.5 hours), it's probably time for me to pack up and move on/go home/find an outlet anyway.

Just to let you know, if you're doing anything like 3DSmax, you're not going to get much more than an hour out of that battery. Think of using that like playing a tough game, battery life is gonna plummet. But if just watching videos, or surfing, or making a word/excel/powerpoijnt doc or something then yeah you should get about 2 hrs out of it if it's doing it's efficient mode correctly.

Also, with your plethora of knowledge, you've got me second-guessing the 7200RPM drive again. Forgot about the SSD's. Could be a good upgrade someday. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the 7200RPM drive won't make programs run faster, just load faster. Right?

Depends on wha the program does. For games it doesn't access the HDD much except to load textures and such usually at the beginning of a scene or in some transitions, but apps can sometimes access the HDD alot (especially in complex models, like with many faces, etc that fill up RAM), and for your final render depending on the size it could use HDD power alot. It's more an issue for true animation, than for just a bunch of objects, but it depends on what you're doing. If it's animation, then yeah HDD will be involved, if it's just surfaces and such the HDD plays less of a role especially hen you have a nice size chunk of memory like the 2GB you will have.

I've also noticed it's a 160GB HDD. I can't find one that big ANYWHERE for sale on it's own. Just 100's or smaller. I don't trust that.

Well don't be too quick to dismiss, it's likely a Seagate Momentus drive (I think Fujitsu makes one and one other mfr). And they are actually quite common in new laptops, and are actually quite fast compared to the 5400RPM models, heck IIRC the Seagates are both 7200RPM and Perpendicular drives, and are faster than most of those old 80GB 7200RPM drives. I'd check with Dell firs, but they are like night and day performance wise. I've been able to find a few re-sellers that carry them in Canada should I decide WTF, when I add the SSD I'll add a 7.2K too. But I still haven't decided yet. IBM's old division (now Hitachi) announced a 200GB 7200RPM model a few months ago, and I suspect those will be showing up shortly.

I know of 7200RPM notebook drives being as slow/slower than 5400's. I think I'll go with the 5400 now and upgrade the drive maybe when Hitachi, Samsung, or Seagate offer a 160/200 or something with SSD.

Well be fore-warned, those are both expensive and slow. SSD's are great for small random access chunks, but their sustained rate is terrible. And right now a 32GB SSD drive is about 2-3 times the price of those 160GB 7200RPM models. The main thing for the SSD drives is battery life not performance.

Not to mention it's a hell of lot easier to upgrade in a notebook than the CPU...ha ha...

That's for sure, but really for your situation I'd still recommend the 7200RPM model.

But I think both will be fine, because in order of importance it'll be CPU>RAM>HDD.
*the only caveat being if there's enough RAM. If it were a situation where you had a choice between 512MB of RAM and a T7500 or 2GB of RAM and a T7100 then memory would be more important, because the 512MB of RAM starts to be a bottle neck and does force the CPU to access more RAM, but in this scenario where the bare minimums are met, then the standard C>R>H works.

I'm hoping I will eventually get the best of both worlds with SSD for fast access and the eSATA for large transfer rates. We'll see though because like so many things, the theory isn't always as practical as the application, which often encounters bugs few people saw.

Can't thank you enough my friend. Very much appreciated indeed.

No problemo.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Dear Lord Ape! Do you take checks? Credit cards? Ha ha....

Seriously, are you a column writer for Tom's or a moderator for the forumz? Write for any Magazines? Wow. :D

OK. I'm gonna bite the bullet on this one. I'll go the 7200RPM drive. Dell's calling me back and I should get some final specs on them. I'll just brown-bag it a little more this month ;)

Again, thanks for the advice my friend. You're really helped a brother out. :sol:

He was/is a mod for the forums. He writes in length because if he is going to take the time to answer your questions, he is going to be thorough and make sure you understand what he is talking about. He is one of the posters here that you should not ignore.

FYI, 160 gig 7200 rpm drives are relatively recent for laptops and may be the reason you are having a hard time finding them. It isn't Dell trying to rip you off and they are most likely a name brand. I've seen Dell use Seagate and Hitachi for laptops.

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003

Actually I was only recently made a mod. But like L&W says, I jsut try to make my effort worth the effort. I type pretty fast (the GA to SK is from my days as a relay operator for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing), and I like to make sure that I get the information across as much as possible.
It's also handy to be able to do this while at work.

I did double check with another of my suppliers I direct people to in Canada and the 7.2K momentus are already selling there (although special order);

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=24607&vpn=ST9160823AS&manufacture=Seagate

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=24608&vpn=ST9160823ASG&manufacture=Seagate

I think that's likely what you'd see in there, that or the Fujitsus, but they were launched a little later, and the Hitachis were the last to the ball IIRC.

All in all I think you'll do fine, and really the difference is pretty impressive from what I remember. Because the new perpendicular 5400 drives were getting near the old 7200s, and the 7200 Perps were just extending their lead even further.

Two reviews of the many I've seen;
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=412
http://www.storagereview.com/160notebook.sr?page=0%2C0

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Ok ok....I got it.

Midnight Blue(change of heart)
T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache)
Vista Home Basic Edition
15.4 inch display (1440x900)
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
160G 7200RPM SATA HDD
CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
No Webcam Option
85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
Plant a Tree!

(after coupon)

TOTAL: $1361.00

I really can't complain. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have known about the coupon so thanks again. More than I wanted to spend, but a pretty good deal. I hate the big battery (weight, sticking out the back) but I think I'd hate having to break out the AC adapter even more at Starbucks or Barnes & Noble....ha ha...

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Yeah I know what you mean, I got 2 separte 8 cell batteries for my Gateway instead of the 12 Cell for that reason, but I usually do the heavy work plugged in and only presentations or light work/gaming/surfing while on Battery so a second battery is good for me versus a bigger battery. For you a second battery likely wouldn't have been good because it would mean shutting down and swapping, which isn't good when it's projects like that.

Anywhoo, enjoy I think you've got a good system and it will do what you need and give you good future prospects (for sale and upgrades). And hey it was under the original $1400-ish price range, but not by much I agree. But I think it's money well spent.

Anywhoo, impress the ladies with your mad XYZ skillz while sipping a QuadTall-Whatever-Whatever and a Bear Claw. 8)

BTW, kudos on the plant a tree. Seems like nothing, but it's always good to pay it forward no matter how small.

Enjoy man!

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Dude, you won't believe it:

They just released a new coupon today. $300 off AND it works.

Canceled previous order, rebuilt, new coupon, AND extra 2% off for opening Dell Account (close after paid of course)

New Price: $1260

OH YEAH....

Can't beat that with a stick.

Thanks again!

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003

Well done. $100 savings = More Beer !! :whistle:

Thanks again!

You're welcome, enjoy !! :sol: