advice on wireless headset

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I am not an enthusiast but I am looking for a wireless headset that can be used primarily with my desktop P and laptop PC, (as well as my ipad mini, but not a must because I don't use it often)

There are lots of choices on Amazon and other shopping sites I don't know which to choose.
I need a wireless , comfortable headset for watching video. The headset should be stable and work well at a reasonable distance. As for budget, I have no idea because I don't have a wireless headset before

Thanks for all advice and recommendation in advance.

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
wireless as in radio frequency? or bluetooth? For running, I use a cheap pair of Anker bluetooth earbuds. They sound fine, don't fall out, and last about 6 hours on a charge. I believe it also has a built in mic but I've never used it for calls. It's bluetooth so as long as I'm within about 15-20 feet, it works fine.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

Excuse me ! Radio frequency??? Bluetooth frequency??? I have no idea about that!! How many types of connection standards are there?

1. which one is better ?? Radio or bluetooth??
2. Is it neceesary for my PC to have any special bluetooth equipment for it to work with the bluetooth headset?
3. Does bluetooth emit a lot of radiation that is harmful to human body?? Someone said those bluetooth mobile headset will generate strong radiation that might even goes to the human head. I don't know...

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
There are several connection standards. you don't need to know the frequency, I'm just asking if you want something that's radio, bluetooth, or even IR (don't get IR, it sucks).

Bluetooth will work well with the iPad. To have it work with the PC/laptop, that PC/laptop needs to have bluetooth support. If so, great, get bluetooth headset. if not, you'll need to buy a bluetooth USB adapter for the PC/laptop. Note that lots of modern laptops have bluetooth but it's rarer on older laptops. It's not that common on desktop PC's.

My preference is to use bluetooth with my laptop and mobile devices when I'm actually mobile. I use a wired headset anytime I'm working at my desk because it sounds a bit better and I can use nicer headphones (I use Bose Quietcomfort 25's). I don't really use radio frequency headsets nor IR ones so I guess if you must have wireless headphones, go with bluetooth if your devices have bluetooth support.

on the radiation, anything with a radio transmitter, which bluetooth does have, will emit radiation. As to whether or not it's harmful, there are studies and you'll need to make your own opinion.