Solved! After 10-40 minutes laptop keyboard stops working

Nov 21, 2019
Hi everyone.

When I turn on my laptop(asus FX753VD) everything works fine, but after like 10 to 40 minutes my keyboard does a strange thing - it turns on a backlight on maximum (so if I have turned off backlight it turns on) and the keyboard itself stops working. Restart doesn't help. Also it doesn't work in bios.

If I let the laptop off for 10 minutes, the keyboard works great again for another like 10 to 40 minutes. One strange thing I noticed is that if I turn on my laptop and immediately see red backlight - it won't work, but if it turns on at the Asus loading screen, then the keyboard works fine. Also I tried to wait for the keyboard to "restart", opened the laptop and reconnected the ribbon cable. Neither that worked. Also my GPU is fried, but I don't think this will have something in common.

What can I do to make the keyboard work again? Have you ever seen this problem before?
Thanks guys.

EDIT: When the keyboard "restarts" the only working key is power button

Solution
Try this and see if it helps at all...
  1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
  2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
  3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If the above doesn't help, try starting up in "Safe Mode" (instructions below) and see if the keyboard works fine while you are in there. If it does then you may want to check the device for malware, viruses, etc., which can interfere with normal operation.

Now if the problem also occurs in "Safe Mode" then you likely need to have the keyboard replaced. Either that or use an external keyboard.

If the above doesn't help, try starting up in "Safe Mode" (instructions below) and see if the keyboard works fine while you are in there. If it does then you may want to check the device for malware, viruses, etc., which can interfere with normal operation.

Now if the problem also occurs in "Safe Mode" then you likely need to have the keyboard replaced. Either that or use an external keyboard.

Solution
Nov 21, 2019

This problem first occured before I reinstalled Windows. Also it appears when I force shutdown the notebook(sometimes only). I tried reinstalling drivers, didn't help thought. It doesn't work in UEFI, neither in Windows, neither in boot menu for linux, neither in safe mode in windows. I think it has something to do with overheating, because I fount similar problems, but with few keys working that said it could be keyboard - which in my case isn't probable I think, or it could be some connection in the keyboard controller circuit which is heating up. I might try to blow some air on it, but I am pretty scared that it will definitely kill the controller.

I would be careful. Overheating could be related to the problem, but it is hard to say without being able to test the temps. You can try installing temp monitoring software and see what results it gives you.

With it happening so often though, the part may already be damaged enough that it will not last long.