After a Brutal Q4, RIM Layoffs Begin, Co-CEO Steps Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
At some point, smartphone data security will become the hot topic; possibly after a very unfortunate incident involving mass theft of personal data, banking info, etc., stolen from thousands of smart phones. A lot of financial transactions are now being conducted through these devices. Suddenly, people will get religion and remember why the blackberry was so popular in the first place.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
They need to give up on the handset market. Make their money on their enterprise and phone security by porting it to iOS, Android and Windows 8.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I think a corporate shakeup is necessary since the "old guard" gets stale and out of step very quickly. I hope that this shakeup will help RIM on its way to BB10.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
The security in BB OS is obviously superior to both Android and IOS, as shown by the fact that both of the latter have consistently been easily jailbreaked, while I'd love to jailbreak my Playbook for example but it's STILL impossible. Plus, execs at my company have tried to move to iphones for business email use and are very frustrated by its lousy interface and cumbersome access methods. BB is still king for business use, IOS and Android are nothing but toys.

the real mr b

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Expected numbers ... Anyone thinking RIM would show a better Q4 is retarded. The business is going under major changes right now and I believe they have all the necessary "objects" to bounce back. Looking forward to see BlackBerry 10 phones.

G

"BB is still king for business use, IOS and Android are nothing but toys."

Spoken like a complete idiot. First off, Blackberries aren't actually more secure, they've been rooted/hacked/jailbroken already. It was demonstrated last year actually. The reason it's not more prevalent? There's zero need to because there isn't anything worth doing on the platform except for ancient apps and BBM.

RIM as a company is a dinosaur and simply cannot compete with the fast growing market. Goodbye and good riddance.

hragarand

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Translation - we had it so good for so long as we gorged ourselves on prior success. In order to maintain the status quo we decided we knew what was best for our customer versus innovating to meet the changing needs of the market - after all chang is difficult. We will not provide guidance going forward but in order to look busy for Wall Street and any future employeers we inteview with, we will be sprucing up and rearranging the chairs on our Titanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.