Airport Body Scanner Reveals Genitals

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]So you're OK if it is your wife or kid being looked, right?[/citation]
As long as the images can't be stored it doesn't matter. You don't know the person, you won't probably see them again nor will they see you, so if they've seen you naked for a few seconds what difference does it make? They will forget about what they saw when hundreds more people will walk through after you.

If a pervert is doing the checks... well they've scored themselves the perfect job haven't they? But you don't know if the guy/girl is a pervert so it doesn't change anything even if they are.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
thought x-ray images reveal bone structures and not much soft tissues. well if you're having an erection when you're being scanned... they don't need a scanner to notice it! just keep the display screen in a private enclosure.

the report mentioned "volunteer" passengers. this is not mandatory or only because it's on a trial run for the moment.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]So you're OK if it is your wife or kid being looked, right?[/citation]It's interesting how our personal insecurity is the only thing standing in the way of our national security. It's an X-Ray image.

I wonder if they had an issue with dentists taking x-ray images. I could see a perv dentist hanging your mouth up on the wall and trying to french kiss it.

G

'Action for Rights of Children' isn't a group, it's just one person. Since when did one person with a big mouth and a lot of press attention become a group?
Henceforth, in order to add weight to my random and ill-informed musings, I wish to be none as 'The Anonymous Group' - look for my quotes about eevrything in the gutter press.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]MoUsE-WiZ[/nom]I'd rather have a 0.000001% chance of having my genitals be blown off than have a 100% chance of some 30 year old man scanning me with an x-ray machine.Just my opinion though.[/citation]
Thing is, if not the near 100% chance of some 30 year old man scanning your genitals, the chance of having them blown off will be much higher than 0.000001%.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
It doesn't work guys, that is the issue. Scanner or not it's very easy to get something past security.

Let's put in perspective if we had a 9/11 every month flying would still be safer than say driving your car. It wouldn't be close either but I hear nobody suggesting radical solutions to making driving safer. All they have done is make flying a pain in the ass.

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Great idea, we can defend our ideals of personal liberties by getting rid of all our personal liberties. This is exactly the effect that terrorists want, getting you all so worked up that you are prepared to give up your freedoms.

lvlouro

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
In my opinion the real danger is in the x-rays you're exposed to...
even in low doses its cumulative and eventually can cause cancer...
imagine if you're already prone to cancer, this could be the trigger... not to mention the frequent fliers who probably would be receiving more radiation from this than from medical exams...

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
[citation][nom]lvlouro[/nom]In my opinion the real danger is in the x-rays you're exposed to... even in low doses its cumulative and eventually can cause cancer...imagine if you're already prone to cancer, this could be the trigger... not to mention the frequent fliers who probably would be receiving more radiation from this than from medical exams...[/citation]

A short burst of xray radiation is nothing to worry about. Remember that light is radiation and we let people sunbathe and get skin cancer anyway.

lvlouro

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
[citation][nom]djcoolmasterx[/nom]A short burst of xray radiation is nothing to worry about. Remember that light is radiation and we let people sunbathe and get skin cancer anyway.[/citation]

are people being forced to sunbathe? they know the risk and chose not to listen.
Light is radiation but not the same kind of radiation than x-rays... and what causes cancer is the UV rays, that is not a form of visible radiation hence not really light...
The potential to mutate cells is completely different.
and xrays can cause more than just skin cancer...

lvlouro

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
forgot to mention that germ line cells are extremely sensitive to radiation... this could cause mutation is this cells that can then transmit those mutations to the offspring.

There are councils for radiation protection trying to minimize the radiation people are exposed to, and the come these guys doing the exact opposite

lvlouro

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
[citation][nom]djcoolmasterx[/nom]Could you use this arguement against hospitals using xrays also?[/citation]

and there is a criteria that needs to be met before people do any exam that involves x-ray, and it is only so if the benefit is bigger than the risk...

I do not believe that irradiating millions and millions of people is going to have a benefit greater than the potential harm

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
The probability of gamma radiation ionizing an atom in a cell is low in a single low exposure.

"The associations between ionizing radiation exposure and the development of cancer are mostly based on populations exposed to relatively high levels of ionizing radiation"

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
People need to stop commenting on the health risks of the tiny amounts of ionizing radiation from airport scanners without first understanding the science.
There are vast amounts of scientists that understand the risks very well, they know its not a signifigant amount to cause even the slightest potential harm.
We are exposed to higher amounts of ionizing radiation every day of our lives from UV and cosmic radiation. Even if you flew 10 times a day every day of the year, your exposure to ionizing radiation would only increase by a fraction of 1%. A single trip to the beach without sunscreen would cause you more harm.
The xray technicians use shields because they are exposed to the radiation all day long. Without shields this would be dramatically more exposure over the course of a persons career, and could cause harm.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Pal, 30 to 40 something women are some of the most sexually active (and sexiest people on the planet. Cougars just know how to not kiss and tell.[/citation]
I LOVE cougars :) and yes you are completely correct :)

Status
Not open for further replies.