Akai GX630D Reel To Reel

mth1963

Estimable
Apr 5, 2015
In the left channel suddenly for no apparent reason started humming,it shows on the left meter,goes all the way to the right,the right meter stays normal.This is playback.In the record mode stays normal operation with no problems.Can anyone tell me what's the problem,maybe left channel in playback bad,bad tape head or lose wiring.Spent enough to get this deck a year ago.Don't want to invest anymore unless I have to.Somebody with expertise please help.Need this deck in my recording studio!

mth1963

Estimable
Apr 5, 2015
I found the problem with this Akai GX630D Reel To Reel.It was connected to an equalizer.The in and out wiring coming from the eq to the recorder.From the recorder going back to the eq.Somehow my cat climbed behind the unit stepping on the wiring and rca jacks.Not seeing this this was my assumption.I found the humming noise was a rca jack in the playback left channel.I simply took off the cover,reached in the unit(powered off),with a mini flashlight seen the wiring was bent down on the left channel.The humming from this channel was grounding out on something not clear what it was.Straightened it out,powered it up,put on a tape,playback in the left channel was restored to normal.Now its working again properly.