Alarm Clocks Useless Thanks to Cell Phones

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I use a "now and zen" clock -- it uses a real chime. It has improved my quality of life so much that I can't even describe it. Gentle wakeup with a natural sound...they are expensive (~$100) and unreliable (I replace mine every 2-3 of years) and have poor ergonomics (awful buttons make it easy to mis-set and have poor screen feedback.) But I still keep buying it...

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I still use an alarm clock.

I actually like hearing the radio in the morning, and my teeny tinny sounding cellphone speakers could never do justice to even radio quality sounds -- and thats assuming I could get a cellphone that would receive LOCAL radio stations.

intesx81

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
If the alarms on cell phones were as straight forward as an alarm clock I'd probably get rid of my alarm clock. But the functionality is never consistant from one from to the next. I have a hard time waking up and the snooze function is an absolute necessarity. Any alarm clock that makes me press menu > snooze > 5 minutes > ok... is going to get ignored.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]I still have an atomic radio frquency alarm clock radio with battery backup. I shut off my cell phone at night because of wrong number calls in the middle of the night.[/citation]Did you know that even if your phone is off your alarm will ring??? This is true for all Nokia phones I know..

G

The alarm function on my phone is not reliable. Sometimes it goes off at the right time, other times it goes off hours earlier than it should. As such, I stick to the digital alarm clock that I've used for the past ten years.

p.s. My phone doesn't have Internet capability, a planner, or a camera either :p

megahunter

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
i use my cell with the FM radio to wake me up,
if i put a normal music to wake me up everyday i just start hating that music thats why i use radio so i cant hate all musics :D

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I prefer alarm clocks, but they usually don't wake me up :D. The alarm on my phone is rather useless as a wake up alarm since even though it does go off, I never wake up to it.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Been using SONY phones for an Alarm clock for 5+ years. Allows me to put it anywhere. Current phone are more advanced of course - with 5 presets, I have settings for everyday and I save 2 to use every day. Different tones and messages.

I use a CLOCKs (VCR, etc) just to tell time.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Classic radio here that is supposed to get the time from the FM waves but never does. I don't put the back up batteries in it because if the electricity goes out, it gives me a good excuse to be late at work! :)

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I am still waking up by my alarm clock/radio on the daily basis. And I use it to listen to Michael Savage while cooking my dinner. At this moment I use borrowed cell phone and don't bother even want to learn how to use it.

darzil

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
So, a survey from a mobile phone company found that people like using features on their mobile phone? The only shock is it isn't higher.

Nice of the Telegraph to paste the company's press release and pretend it was news, though.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
My NOKIA 1100 was by far the best alarm clock I ever had.
Loud, never quit, always on time, and never out of batteries. It would even alarm when it was off. It was awesome. However, when I switched to Boost, I couldn't take my NOKIA with it, and none of the boost phones have good (if any) alarm clocks. I have the clutch which was supposed to have an alarm. But it doesn't work even when the phone is on.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I have one of those alarm clocks that roll off the table onto the floor when it goes off causing the animals to chase after it in the morning. Its amusing

Status
Not open for further replies.