Alarm Clocks Useless Thanks to Cell Phones

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I predominately use the sony stereo I have my PC hooked up to to wake me up. Nothing like classical coming out of the speakers to ease me back into the world.

There will always be a place for wristwatches; a good watch is timeless, classic and shows you have good taste. A good phone will be out of style in 6 months.

To quote an issue of GQ I remember reading (in regards to watches): "If it beeps, it's for creeps".

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Random cheap alarm clock.
I switch alarm clocks every few years though... I eventually start to sleep through the tones.

I had a choice a few years back... Pentium D or phone?
Shortly back I had a choice, i7 or phone.
I still don't own a cell phone (paying $75 a month to use it isn't exactly my prefernce either).

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
Wind-up alarm, wind-up wristwatch... Alarm always wakes me up, even after a power cut. Wristwatch never needs new batteries.

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
My Blackberry Storm has a cradle upon which the phone mounts sideways, and when plugged in, displays a neat looking clock - you can set it to be digital (for those with perfect vision) or analog (for those who don't want to put on glasses to see what time it is), and so basically it IS an alarm clock. Yeah, pitched the alarm clock once the BB storm cradle showed up in the mail. Before bed I just set it to make all alerts that are not the alarm to "silent" and snooze away...

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
i do have an alarm clock on my night stand, but i only use it as a clock. I leave my ipod touch on my night stand as well and have it wake me up. This is much more practical as i can set multiple alarms which is good since i don't have to reset my alarm every day.

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Had to ditch my alarm clock due to placement probs with my shoebox of a room so I use my cell for that. I still keep my watch coz it almost never runs flat (10yr battery), glows in the dark without requiring battery power, is quicker to see the time and with the swiss mechanism inside it's accurate. Can't see anything replacing my watch for quite some time.

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
i use my personal and job cell to wake up in the morning. Just select an mp3 tone as ringtone for my cell and annoying tone for the job phone:D.
i had a period when i used my computer to wake me up....nasty thing is i had to leave the speakers turned on over night....electricity bill did got more expensive ...

3 Alarms on the cell at 6:00, 6:10, 6:20. 1 alarm on my ipod dock at 6:00 just in case my battery dies (clock has a backup.)

I find that the cell wakes me up fine. The only trouble is that I shudder whenever I hear my alarm song played on the radio. My dare is also my portable watch. I cannot stand wearing a watch or any other accessories.

@anamaniac, cellphone service can be had on the cheap. There are plans for under $20/mo. Personally I pay about $60, but that includes unlimited mobile browsing.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I use my Iphone as an alarm... I use the sound of an alarm which you would here on a sinkin ship. It scares the hell out of me everyday lol.

I prefer it, its my "mobile" alarm clock.. doesnt matter where i sleep, Its going off in the morning.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I have always had a problem getting up in the morning, so when I bought my house my parents bought me a Clocky as a housewarming gift. They mostly meant it as a gag gift, but I love that little guy.. i would never get up without him..

Status
Not open for further replies.