Solved! Alexa or Google Home? Need to automate one lamp with 'fuzzy' off time (random, for security)

Feb 16, 2021
Looking for advice to do one thing: Automate a table lamp on & off to make it appear someone is home.

Ideally, I'll set up one daily cycle with 'fuzzy' (randomly variable, within limits) on and off times. If that's not possible, set up each day of the week with slightly different on and off times.

For this task, which would be better, Google Nest Mini (2020) or Echo Dot (3rd Gen)? Thanks to various promos, I already have one of each (four Dots actually) but not yet using any of them. I presume I'll just need to buy some sort of smart plug for the lamp.

This became necessary only because my trusty ol' X10 controller bit the dust yesterday. It was really good at this. I'm very comfortable with tech so fire away, please.

Reactions: nguyennah
Solution
Amazon echo has this skill.
Go to your alexa app on ur phone. Scroll down till u see create a routine. Start here.
If you have more than one light you want on at same time. Group them together. Label em something like " outta town lights" or whatever floats ye boat.. This is fairly easy as long as you can control these.light using voice on the echo now.
If you can say, Alexa..kitchen lights on..and on they go..youre good
If not you need to be able.to do this so as the routine function can do the same..
Otherwords if ya can tell em to work .."routine" just does the same while ur gone

Bradleybbb

Great
Feb 21, 2021
Amazon echo has this skill.
Go to your alexa app on ur phone. Scroll down till u see create a routine. Start here.
If you have more than one light you want on at same time. Group them together. Label em something like " outta town lights" or whatever floats ye boat.. This is fairly easy as long as you can control these.light using voice on the echo now.
If you can say, Alexa..kitchen lights on..and on they go..youre good
If not you need to be able.to do this so as the routine function can do the same..
Otherwords if ya can tell em to work .."routine" just does the same while ur gone

Reactions: nguyennah
Solution