Alienware 15 R4 still not picking up M.2

Bleubird

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
I had another post asking about my M.2 not being picked up on my new laptop, and it was resolved that I should ask Alienware's support. I did, and they told me to go into the BIOS and turn RAID ON off and to AHCI, which I have done, and had to reinstall Windows. Now the laptop is still not picking up the drive, and in the BIOS, that slot is not even reading that anything is plugged in. Did I get a dead slot by some chance?

Solution
M2 is a slot format. SATA will work, NVME might not. You need to make sure your SSD will work in that slot. This is a rare case of just because it fits doesn't mean it will work.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
M2 is a slot format. SATA will work, NVME might not. You need to make sure your SSD will work in that slot. This is a rare case of just because it fits doesn't mean it will work.

Solution

Bleubird

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

Yeah, I've flip flopped the drives. I have my Western Digital 500GB one in the slot that works with these drives, and the stock one in the other. My WD one is a SATA. So that's the issue. I'm sure the included one is SATA as well, and that's why neither of them show up in the PCI-E only slot.

Bleubird

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

That's a good idea, but I think what i'll do is sell the included SSD and buy a nice WD 2.5 hard drive for mass storage stuff.