Alienware m17-r1 screen will not come on

max_36

Commendable
May 16, 2016
Ok so basically I'm trying to paint and customize my old Alienware m17-r1 laptop and I've taken it apart and all, also i want to add that the screen did work before this also i would occasionally have this problem where it wouldn't come on before but i somehow fixed it. But now it won't it powers on and all fan spins lights come on i also had some bad ram in there and it would beep when it was in there but i changed the ram and now doesn't beep anymore also I've tried resetting with a hard reset also i may add that i had to get a new lcd cable after the first one sparked on fire lol it's just a number of issues I've come across but hopefully it can still be saved

Solution
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution