Alienware M17X R2 Graphics Issue. Please Help!

TamoyaSiel

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
(You can skip this if you want. Just some background)

Hi, let me give you some background before I address the issue. I have a m17x r2 that came up to my work not too long ago and was donated to me. I'm a PC/Mobile technician that repairs PCs and mobile devices. The dude that came up to me and donated the device said that it had a overheating issue and that's why he donated it. I stripped it down and found out that the heat sinks and fans were caked with build up. So i blew them out and that fixed the heating issue. However, there is another problem I'm having.

(The issue to discuss)

This laptop is having a graphics issue that I can't quite figure out. When I fresh install windows it will run just fine. When I install it's graphics drivers is when this starts:

Symptoms:
> freezing up in boot process (it will exceed the windows logo)
> no display (just black screen)
> sometimes i get BSOD (Error: Critical_Process_Has_Died)
> and a couple other things that i can't really list right now.

Things I've tried:
> new thermal paste (on both GPU's and the CPU)
> old and new graphics drivers
> dell's auto detect graphics drivers

I'm not 100% on what all the hardware is in this thing but i know it has two AMD RadionHD 4870 or HD 5870 (Can't remember which ones). it said that it has a i7 in it. but does AMD have i7? this is where i start to get confused and i can't figure it out.

If there is anything that i can do please help. any and all help is much appreciated :)

Solution
I had issues with the same machine. I had a 4870 (x2) gpu in mine. Started having issues and found out that one of the graphics cards blew a transistor. Later on had more issues: had to remove windows 10 and reinstall Windows 7. I'd suggest searching for legacy drivers and install those. Better yet check out this site:
HTTPS://community.amd.com/thread/184724
This helped me out tremendously. Good luck!

TamoyaSiel

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016

Is there any way to further test this? I think I've done everything but I want to be sure before I go getting a new gfx card for it. Like I said it was donated to me, so I don't want to put too much money into it if I'm going to try and refurbish it.

TamoyaSiel

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016

Any specific repair program you have in mind? I usually just fix hardware. I'm not really the software kind of guy.

Well there is the standard "chkdsk" that you can run from command prompt in windows (just make sure you have admin privileges). To see what options you have to use with it type "help chkdsk" (without the quotes) and it will list the options for you.

You can also try one or more of these programs, they are for different things, so you may want to try different ones for different checks.... CPU-Z, Performance Monitor, Reliability Monitor, CrystalDiskInfo, WinDirStat, Resource Monitor, Windows Memory Diagnostic, AdwCleaner, MalwareBytes, ClamWin (great antivirus program), PC Wizard – CPUID, Speccy – Piriform, Sandra Lite – SiSoftware. And I am sure there are many more.

TamoyaSiel

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016

I'll check some of these programs out and see if any of them have an affect on the PC's usability.

KenVahn

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017
I had issues with the same machine. I had a 4870 (x2) gpu in mine. Started having issues and found out that one of the graphics cards blew a transistor. Later on had more issues: had to remove windows 10 and reinstall Windows 7. I'd suggest searching for legacy drivers and install those. Better yet check out this site:
HTTPS://community.amd.com/thread/184724
This helped me out tremendously. Good luck!

Solution