Solved! Alienware r3 15 fps drop on hard drive

Oct 3, 2018
Hey so ive had my alienware r3 15 a few months and at first i didnt notice anything but about a month in i started getting random frame drops as in while i was playing a game the frames would go from a solid 60 to 0 for a half a second then it would go right back to 60. the fps drops usually occur when different in game effects come up or someone gets killed in a game or when bloodlust comes up in dead by daylight. but the issues are only on the hard drive any games on the ssd run perfectly fine with no studders. i contected customer support and they gave me a new hard drive and cable but it still has the issue and they just told me that this is how hard drives are now days, they just dont run well with games. anyways thx for any help you can give!

Solution

Well, I'm officially stumped then. I will still say, though, that it's not some inherent issue with hard drives. The only other thing I can possibly think of is that there's something wrong with the connector on the motherboard.

2sidedpolygon

Proper
Jul 1, 2018
That's just how hard drives are? That's a downright lie and simply lazy customer service. As a customer, especially one of a brand as absurdly priced as Alienware, you should be really upset. Anyway, try defragging the drive and see if that does any good. Also check the standard things like temps and CPU, GPU, RAM, and VRAM usage. I feel like your RAM or VRAM might be getting full, and when it offloads it to the SSD it at least sorta works, but when it offloads it to the hard drive it brings things to a screeching halt. At least that's my theory.

Oct 3, 2018

my bad i accidentally selected as answer, but my vram usgae never goes above 4gb (out of 8) and my ram never goes above 10gb (out of 16gb) that ive ever seen. also i ran the defrag and nothin happend. also cpu temps never went above 81c and gpu never above 72c

2sidedpolygon

Proper
Jul 1, 2018

I can only imagine that it's a software issue, then. When you got the new hard drive did they transfer all the files over, or did you have to reinstall everything?

Oct 3, 2018

We ran a complete clean install on the ssd and didn't keep any files from either drive.

Oct 3, 2018

nope they just started about a week or 2 after i bought it i started noticing the issues.

2sidedpolygon

Proper
Jul 1, 2018

Well, I'm officially stumped then. I will still say, though, that it's not some inherent issue with hard drives. The only other thing I can possibly think of is that there's something wrong with the connector on the motherboard.

Solution
Oct 3, 2018

welp thx for tryin to help me out man!