Alienware R3 17 Screen Flickering/Blackout

Slaycom

Estimable
Aug 30, 2014
Heys guys, just bought a Alienware R3 17 two days ago and starting to get into benchmarking it and testing some things making sure I don't have a dud. (Manufacturing processes aren't perfect). One thing I noticed yesterday, was when I was browsing on youtube, I had the planet side 2 client downloading in the background.... the screen flickered.. it went a hue of green for milli seconds and then shut off. Then back on. Then blacked out. I tried Alt+F4 thinking something opened and vice versa, and then CNTRL ALT DEL, to no avail. I hit the power button (did not hold) and the screen would show my desktop with my windows as normal for about a second then go back to a back screen.

Now notice when I say black screen, I mean it's like switching inputs on a TV to where the screen is still on but no media is streaming to the screen it's self. I did this a few times, before doing a hard shut down then turned it back on. It took an extra 30 seconds or so to boot up as per normal hard shut downs, but then proceeded to act normal

Then I commenced browsing again, and it flickered a few times, off and on less than a second and returned to normal. It's done it a few times, I'm thinking mainly with windows that have video players of some sort, but I can't MAKE the screen do it, as it seem's to happen when it feels like. I haven't had it do it while playing games which is the odd part. And I can't seem to make it happen today either while browsing and looking around.

The chasis processor and GPU temps are staying well below 60 C, and I've been researching trying to see people with similar issuies, but this seem's to be an issuie that happens with all laptops sometimes due to, as said earlier, a manufacturing process that isn't always perfect.

ALSO, could this be the result of hybrid graphics trying to kick in and conflicting? I.E. videos loading forcing my NVIDIA GPU to kick on but conflict with the Intel HD graphics wanting to stay in control?

I just want some opinions, as I will continue testing today, and returning this laptop is a 20 minute no-hassel thing, to get a different one. But I like to ensure longevity before sinking my teeth into a laptop I just bought as "bug-free" Call it consumer remorse or not, I just know how electronics can be.

Solution
[Apologies if this is a repost as my iPhone may not have properly submitted the answer]. My 17R3 w/ 980M, received in Jan. 2016, experienced blackouts (not flickering) after about 30 mins of usage. After updating the nVidia driver via their site using auto-detect, the blackouts stopped, regardless of whether I was actively using my laptop or not. I didn't have to do anything else. Hope this helps.

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Call Dell and ask about it, if they say you have a dud return to the manufacturer/retailer.
You are within the 30 days return/Warranty so contact them first.

Don't waste your time asking the question here.

royhuang

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
[Apologies if this is a repost as my iPhone may not have properly submitted the answer]. My 17R3 w/ 980M, received in Jan. 2016, experienced blackouts (not flickering) after about 30 mins of usage. After updating the nVidia driver via their site using auto-detect, the blackouts stopped, regardless of whether I was actively using my laptop or not. I didn't have to do anything else. Hope this helps.

Solution