Alienware Randomly Freezes for a Few Seconds at Random Intervals

Jacob843

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Hello! Sorry if this is the wrong forum section, I didn't know where else to put it.

Righty. I have an Alienware M14X and it has been running fine for the year that I have had it. But within the past week, it would randomly freeze up for only a few seconds at a time at random points in time.

For example: I was browsing the web trying to find an answer (with no luck), and I was typing my question into Google when the computer froze. After a few seconds, my words magicly appeared. It is like the display is freezing. My music will still run fine when it freezes, along with my videos and such.

I have an external mouse along with my touchpad, and when the computer freezes, no input works.

So I have no idea what this could be. My CPU is only at 8% and my RAM is at 7/16GB used.

I know it isn't overheating because I have my window open and my cooling fans on; my current temperature (cpu) is 70C and gpu is at 53C.

Any ideas of what is happening is appreciated.

Thank you.

Solution
Hello! Sorry if this is the wrong forum section, I didn't know where else to put it.

Righty. I have an Alienware M14X and it has been running fine for the year that I have had it. But within the past week, it would randomly freeze up for only a few seconds at a time at random points in time.

For example: I was browsing the web trying to find an answer (with no luck), and I was typing my question into Google when the computer froze. After a few seconds, my words magicly appeared. It is like the display is freezing. My music will still run fine when it freezes, along with my videos and such.

I have an external mouse along with my touchpad, and when the computer freezes, no input works.

So I have no idea what this could be. My...

rsmith13

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009

So I have no idea what this could be. My CPU is only at 8% and my RAM is at 7/16GB used.

I know it isn't overheating because I have my window open and my cooling fans on; my current temperature (cpu) is 70C and gpu is at 53C.

Any ideas of what is happening is appreciated.

Thank you.

Two things come to mind: 1. You are running out of hard drive space and 2. Your drive needs to be defraged.

Solution

Jacob843

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Right. I have seen my CPU go up to 105C with no issues. I have 170GB of disk space left, and I already blew out the fans with compressed air. Also, I am now at 65C for the CPU.

I shall defrag my HDD, since this will be the first time.. That isn't good, is it?

Jacob843

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

I defrag'ed it and it isn't freezing that often, only once when I was playing WarZ, and that is probably from heat. I am also doing a test.