All Zunes to be Discontinued, Zune HD to be 'It'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I don't see a problem here. Both Apple and Microsoft have researched trends that indicate non-touchscreen devices are not selling as well as their touchscreen versions.

Think of it this way:
If you are a business owner and you stock your shelves with Intel and AMD Processors, on a daily basis you sell out of the i7core and don't sell out of the AMD Phemon and in fact you seem to purchase the same amount of inventory for each processor, at the end of the week you are stuck with a bunch of AMD processors no one is purchasing..

Pretty soon you will go out of business.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]Exactly, I fail to see the point of having to hook a player up to a computer every week just to load it with different music. That is a downgrade from the days of CD's when you could carry a good deal of stuff with you in a car or whatever. When the first 256 MB players came out I scoffed at it as worthless, and walked off with my MP3 CD player and 3-4 discs of MP3's. That was far more music to choose from without hassle of pluging it in every two seconds.[/citation]

So go back to carrying your portable cd player. Or run on out and buy a harddrive based player. I am sure you didnt carry all your discs with you when you had that portable cd player. So if you wanted a 5th disc you still had to choose which ones to carry. Not any different, except now you choose which 100 discs you would like to take with u. Quit being a whiny tit baby.

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]I don't see a problem here. Both Apple and Microsoft have researched trends that indicate non-touchscreen devices are not selling as well as their touchscreen versions. Think of it this way:If you are a business owner and you stock your shelves with Intel and AMD Processors, on a daily basis you sell out of the i7core and don't sell out of the AMD Phemon and in fact you seem to purchase the same amount of inventory for each processor, at the end of the week you are stuck with a bunch of AMD processors no one is purchasing..Pretty soon you will go out of business.[/citation]

lol random hit at AMD kinda uncalled for? xD

I honestly think these big dog MP3 players should have expansion slots like the lesser brands. You could keep an endless amount of flash cards for different movies or what not. Its just that Apple and Microsoft are too heartless to do that....

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Wow, this is a surprise. Except it isn't.

For people that actually listen to music or watch shows, go pick up the 120 gig for less than one of these. >>

phantastic

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2005
30GB is simply not enough. Our old CD changer broke. Went to all the retail outlets to looks for a replacement. They all hadd the crappy sony 300cd carousels that are junk and overly priced Denon stuff. I just wanted a cheap changer. Off to convert the collection.... all 1400 CD's. 32GB aint gonna cut it. Changing cd's is quick and easy. Shuffling mp3's around with Itunes or Zune....not so. It's all or none for me.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ricdiculus[/nom]Storage is cheap these days. the more the better[/citation]
Certain types of storage is cheap, the storage used in Zune HD and itouch are not on the cheap end of storage, also they are using space limitations in actual physical size of their device used to store the data =p.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I really hope Mircosoft is bringing the EQ back as it was in the original Zune. Buncha retards removed it in the 2nd gen Zune which is what kept me from buying one.

Core2uu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]I really hope Mircosoft is bringing the EQ back as it was in the original Zune. Buncha retards removed it in the 2nd gen Zune which is what kept me from buying one.[/citation]

They are bringing it back. I'm waiting anxiously =).

G

While it is a rarity for "some" people to actually buy music these days, there are people, like me, that actually buy cd's because we want the best sound and full liner notes. In 20 years, I've amassed nearly 4,000 cd's! They've all been ripped to lossless formats, some 43,000 tracks worth (and yes, I have all that store bought cd's).

For me, it is a real pain synching all of this to an 80gb Zune, let alone further reducing my choices to fit a 32gb flash player. The more space, the better. I hope my hard drive based players don't die anytime soon....

backbydemand

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]32 gigs isn't enough for music and you're supposed to put video on it too?I'm talking to you too itouch/iphone[/citation]

Really? Thats about 30,000 MP3's, or in real terms 6 months of music, if you think that's not enough space for music you are a f**king retard.

And as far as videos, a whole season of 26 episodes (42min average) like 24 or CSI or Battlestar is around 8Gb, so I can get 4 complete seasons. That's around 72 hours of video.

The idea is that you have your music and video collection on your PC and you sync the stuff you want to carry with you and watch/listen. If you store your entire collection just on your player, you are asking to run out of space and serves you right if you drop/lose it.

G

One of the main attractions of these large multi-gigabyte players was the ability to put all or most of your collection onto your player and then be able to take them anywhere and not worry about being tethered to your pc (One of the reasons I'd never buy an Apple product, because of its reliance on syncing with iTunes).

Its nice to not have to worry about the power drain of the hard drive-based players and their tendency for failure and shock damage, but to take a 75% leap backwards in terms of capacity is a bit much to swallow, esp. when you add video to the picture.

I understand that flash capacities will most likely rise in the future, but hopefully there'd be hard drive alternatives available until they reach the level of their hard drive-based versions for those who *need* the greater travel capacity.

I think *all* flash-based DAPs should have onboard SDHC slots (Like the Cowon D2 and a few others..and not Micro SDHC as its more expensive and SDHC allows the use of Micro SDHC with converter cards anyways) to alleviate and bridge this limit in capacity until then. In the future I can easily see SDXC cards (Promises to offer densities which scale up to 2 Terabytes in the SDHC form-factor with increased speed) coming in to bridge this gap (If they can be perfected) until then.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I love the all the people complaining about the storage, hello it's flash based storage, what do you expect? Any higher and you will be paying 100s of dollars more for the product.

compulsionnra

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
This is crap. I hate my ipod and love my Zune. I have 20 gigs of music already and often pick up more. With the stored pictures on my zune I have over 30 gigs easy. That doesn't even include videos. This is a really bad move in my mind.

Sushi Warrior

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Man, people are so hard to please. There is no 64GB Touch, does that mean anything to you 64GB is not feasable while maintaining a decent price (sure, some people will pay $400-600 for it but they don't make different SKU's just to please a couple thousand people) and you CAN'T knock them for the price. It's $100-$120 cheaper than the iTouch! What the hell are you complaining about Are they supposed to launch a 1TB mini-blu ray super-OLED 240hz 1080P WiMax player for $100 It smacks the touch around. Better screen, better hardware, better interface, better software, better price, better features all around. That is it's competitor. THIS WAS MADE TO BATTLE THE iTOUCH. Plain and simple. It makes no sense to replace your phone and GPS also because MS has a stake in this! It would be absolutely retarded to fight your own products! That's why GM is sinking.

Stop complaining. They are doing the best on the market now. The reason you THINK 64GB is such a big deal is because the people who want 64GB are the only ones who really post about it. The average person doesn't need more than 8GB! Joe Smith and Little Billy only need a limited amount of space because they only listen to 180kbps and only download a couple songs per month (or buy a couple of CD's). Sure, there are audiophiles and music nuts who need more but if this doesn't suit you then get a Cowan or Archos who offer more storage and more sound quality. MS won't care if they lose such a niche market. This is meant to battle on the frontlines in Best Buy and Future Shop, not be babbled about by such a small market who think MS should cater to their every wish.

Get a clue. MS doesn't and shouldn't care about you. Such a small, miniscule amount of people who need to fit their 100000 songs and need WMA lossless should go look elsewhere and stop dissing this device.

Status
Not open for further replies.