Alternatives to Lenovo Y50 - Budget: $1100-1400

Mbbird

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014
Budget is not strict. Form factor is not strict.

I like to watch movies and I like to game equally. The Lenovo Y50 was optimal, but I recently discovered that the TN screen is bad, and while I wouldn't care much while gaming, I could not stand a bad screen for watching movies.

For gaming, the Y50's level of power is optimal (860M 2gb + i7 4700HQ + 8GB RAM). Again, as I hear the low size/weight of the Y50 is what brought about its screen, keyboard, and cooling issues, I won't consider a large size/weight to be a con. Audio is a non-issue; I own headphones. A Blu Ray player would be sublime. A DVD player that is capable of being personally swapped out for a Blu Ray would be OK. No disk drive at all is sub-optimal but OK.

For some reason I cannot find the old quarterly or monthly reports I thought Tom's Hardware did for laptops, so now I am posting here.

TLDR: I am only looking for possible alternative laptops better than the Y50 in the areas of of screen, keyboard, and build quality. I'm content with the Y50's power. If necessary, I have the money to pay a bit more than the Y50. Thank you.

Solution
The sager NP7358 would be a good option if you do not mind the size of the laptop, or there is the more expensive p35gv2 http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gigabyte-P35Gv2-Gaming-Laptop. I have not experienced any of these laptops or websites though.

CRITICALThinker

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
The sager NP7358 would be a good option if you do not mind the size of the laptop, or there is the more expensive p35gv2 http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gigabyte-P35Gv2-Gaming-Laptop. I have not experienced any of these laptops or websites though.

Solution

Mbbird

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014

Ah, I've not heard of this one before, or much about Sager for that matter. Just having the name should help in deciding on the GT70 or not. Thank you for the suggestion!

Thank both of you too! I discovered the G750JM on here in the past day, and if I decide against any other companies' laptops, it will be nice to consider a similar model with a smaller screen.