Amazon and B&N Up Android's Ebook Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterkidd

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
An Android device w/ Pixel Qi or comparative technology, an unlimited data plan, and wifi hotspot. That is the ultimate handheld!!

It took a while, but Amazon and Barnes & Noble have realized that limiting their respective ebook markets to specific devices is bad for business.
Finally! I think that that business model only works for a certain company named after a fruit; all others should be interoperable.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]bonezy[/nom]Meh.And that's coming from a Droid owner.[/citation]

A Droid owner who doesn't read books apparently.

G

"the prolonged reading of text on backlit screens tire the eyes"

If you reduce the brightness, it becomes a non-issue. I've been reading ebooks on my PDA (backlit Dell Axim X50v) for years.

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]mavanhel[/nom]A Droid owner who doesn't read books apparently.[/citation]

Really? I have a Sony PRS-300 e-reader, so my eyes bleed trying to read my books on a 3-inch screen, thanks. Most normal people prefer to read from reflected light, but I guess you're the special minority that likes to not only read on backlit screens, but small ones as well.

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]albertsilver[/nom]"the prolonged reading of text on backlit screens tire the eyes"If you reduce the brightness, it becomes a non-issue. I've been reading ebooks on my PDA (backlit Dell Axim X50v) for years.[/citation]

I can play Counter-strike:source on my tiny laptop, but I'd rather play it on my 23" monitor on my desktop running a Radeon HD 4890.

Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's preferred.

G

With stanza and mobipocket on an iPhone, or PDA you can set the text to white, the background to black and read for hours with no strain. The font can be made larger than a books, also reducing strain. I haven't read a paperbook in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.