Amazon: Ebooks Topping Hardcover Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
i used ebooks in college exclusively , as the weight of one C.S. book was similar to my laptop itself . it felt unusual to use ebooks at first but not for long .

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Amazon Monday announced that ebook sales have surpassed regular books for the last 90 days.

No, they stated that it exceeded hardcover. I doubt the kindle is outselling trade/paperback books.

The only ebooks I have "bought" are the ones offered for free. (Do companies count these as "books sold"?) There are two reasons why I stick to free: 1) I don't want any company to have the right to pull my books off my shelf (like they can do with digital books that contact a remote DRM server) and 2) I have used a tablet PC for quite some time. They could have made a windows program for me to read eBooks, but instead said I needed to buy an overpriced dedicated system - heck, I don't use a dedicated DVD player anymore, why would I start using one for books?

So what do I do? I use a digital camera and my tablet pc to get my un-DRMed eBooks for my own personal use. If they are plain text, I might use OCR also.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
With tablets starting to be more widespread now, and ebook programs availible on those tablets, it's only a matter of time before this gap grows even more than it already is.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]No, they stated that it exceeded hardcover. I doubt the kindle is outselling trade/paperback books.The only ebooks I have "bought" are the ones offered for free. (Do companies count these as "books sold"?) There are two reasons why I stick to free: 1) I don't want any company to have the right to pull my books off my shelf (like they can do with digital books that contact a remote DRM server) and 2) I have used a tablet PC for quite some time. They could have made a windows program for me to read eBooks, but instead said I needed to buy an overpriced dedicated system - heck, I don't use a dedicated DVD player anymore, why would I start using one for books?So what do I do? I use a digital camera and my tablet pc to get my un-DRMed eBooks for my own personal use. If they are plain text, I might use OCR also.[/citation]

Oops. And I was so careful to make sure I said 'hardcover' everywhere else in the story. Thanks!

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Talking about eBook....

Jane: Do you read on eBook? or you still prefer the smell the old paperback/hardcover....?

I actually like both eBook and paperback/hardcover. eBook is convenient so no matter where am I, I always have my favorite books with me. However, once in a while, when I am relaxing at home... read some stories on paper just feel more like home.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]Talking about eBook.... Jane: Do you read on eBook? or you still prefer the smell the old paperback/hardcover....?I actually like both eBook and paperback/hardcover. eBook is convenient so no matter where am I, I always have my favorite books with me. However, once in a while, when I am relaxing at home... read some stories on paper just feel more like home.[/citation]

I swore I would never get one. Then I moved from Ireland to Canada and was devastated I could only realistically bring a few of my books (basically the ones I was reading at the time) unless I was going to ship them. My brother ended up buying me a Kindle as a going away present and although I use it quite a bit, I still read paper books just as much, if not more. Mostly because I love bookshops. :) I like my Kindle but I doubt I would have invested one myself.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I swore I would never get one. Then I moved from Ireland to Canada ... Mostly because I love bookshops. I like my Kindle but I doubt I would have invested one myself.[/citation]
Jane:
Oh my.... I did not know you have moved to our side of the ocean!!! Welcome!! How did you like Canada? While I am in the States most of the time, I did travel to Canada countless times... I love that country.

Back to the story... yes I also like to shop in the bookstore. Online book shopping (even for real books) only works when I already know what am I going to get.

One thing I don't like the Kindle is... I can not enjoy the wonderful and colorful pictures on my DK cookbooks!!!!

I may be ok with some black and white chocolate pictures... but a black and white strawberry shortcake?!....

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
My wife recently got a Nook, and I must say it is damn convenient. Instead of us both taking along two or three books when we travel its just the one e-reader. However, I agree with others in saying that there is nothing like a good paper back next to the fireplace. At first I didn't think I would be able to read the Nook like a normal book, that changed when I tried to turn the page whilst emerged in a story.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Yes, I would really want to know whether Amazon counted free ebooks. If free ebooks are included, then this hype is technically rubbish.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Personally, I still prefer paper for the books that I often consult and keep less important ones in e-form, the obvious advantage being cost and space benefits.

drethon

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I read one or two books a week (too much time spent working overtime, college or gamese or it would be one or two a week) and after a while all those books start to take up space. I like being able to keep all my old books in one little space of the e-book reader... Wish they would drop the prices a little though.

muaysteve

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I am at the point where I would look into an ebook reader but I do not want to be locked into a specific platform. I want to be able to check out a book from my local library, and I want to be able to loan a book to a friend. If they can give me that solution, then I will convert a lot of my library. I also have no interest in paying anything over $9.99(cnd) for any book as I would never consider buying a hard cover new release, I always wait for paper back.

Just my ,02 to the ebook industry.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
i will never buy nor read an ebook.................and i mean NEVER will i support this industry.
I am a book collector and you would love to own some of the over 1200 books and the close to 200 vintage pulp magazines i own.

my books are collectable,no drm,i can resell them.
Ebooks = FAIL to my point of view

Status
Not open for further replies.