Amazon: Ebooks Topping Hardcover Sales

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]gorehound[/nom]i will never buy nor read an ebook.................and i mean NEVER will i support this industry.I am a book collector and you would love to own some of the over 1200 books and the close to 200 vintage pulp magazines i own.my books are collectable,no drm,i can resell them.Ebooks = FAIL to my point of view[/citation]
The problem with that mentality is that most people just buy best sellers and a Steven King book is not going to be worth much 20 years from now.

Not to mention that the space needed to store 1000+ books is just not worth it for most of us. I live in a one bedroom apartment and my 2 bookshelves are already over flowing and I don't want to sacrifice any more space. I basically have to get rid of a book any time I want to buy a new one.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
[citation][nom]muaysteve[/nom]I am at the point where I would look into an ebook reader but I do not want to be locked into a specific platform. I want to be able to check out a book from my local library, and I want to be able to loan a book to a friend. If they can give me that solution, then I will convert a lot of my library. I also have no interest in paying anything over $9.99(cnd) for any book as I would never consider buying a hard cover new release, I always wait for paper back. Just my ,02 to the ebook industry.[/citation]

Have you looked at the Nook? Or for that matter, anything that supports open standards?

I've checked out 4 books from my public library and read them on my Nook...I also can loan any book I purchase to another Nook user for 14 days.

I didn't think I'd end up in the eReader market, but really have enjoyed it since I started. I've read quite a few books already and look forward to reading more.

I do agree about the price...I feel that when the hardcovers are being sold for $5.00 in the bargain books, so should the eBooks, but apparently it is not that way.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]2) I have used a tablet PC for quite some time. They could have made a windows program for me to read eBooks, but instead said I needed to buy an overpriced dedicated system - heck, I don't use a dedicated DVD player anymore, why would I start using one for books?So what do I do? I use a digital camera and my tablet pc to get my un-DRMed eBooks for my own personal use. If they are plain text, I might use OCR also.[/citation]
Amazon does offer a Windows program to read kindle books. The program is free, I have it on my computer right now. They also offer free readers for Mac OS, Blackberries, iphones, etc. It's on thier website.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
[citation][nom]headscratcher[/nom]Amazon does offer a Windows program to read kindle books. The program is free, I have it on my computer right now. They also offer free readers for Mac OS, Blackberries, iphones, etc. It's on thier website.[/citation]

This is true of most of the stores, isn't it? I know there is one for B&N, and I think Borders has one/is working on one too.

I like the ability of being able to read on one device, stop reading, and start again on another device in the same place. Very cool.

G

So, is there such a thing as a used ebook marketplace? I love buying and selling books. If I buy an ebook, I'm stuck with it forever. When I buy a physical book I can sell it when I no longer need it. If I can't sell my used ebook or get some type of credit for Amazon to take it off my system, then the price of ebooks must drop significantly for me to be interested.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer paper books. I still read newspaper too. There's just something about paper that I like. Maybe the feel? Maybe the smell? I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.