Amazon Echo Review: One Smart Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Allen

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Our Echo, purchased in late 2014, is now indispensable. Lights, power outlets, math problems, weather, sports, news summaries...all controlled by voice. I cannot cook without Echo, since it is a hands-free timer and alarm clock. It also performs unit conversions of various kinds like metric to Imperial and C to F.
Oh, it is our go to music player as well.
We see it as a personal assistant (calendar, purchasing, to-do and shopping lists) first, and a Bluetooth speaker as a bonus.

pauljuno

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
You know you're old when....
I was scrolling through the article and noticed the caption under all the videos and it almost read like a pet rock!

sreilly24590

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
What's missing if I' reading this right is the ability to make a call. As an EMS member in an aging community we often get calls from people who have fallen and can't get up. Sometimes, rare, but for days. Being able to make a 911 call by voice alone is worth the price by itself. Everything else is gravy.

Bill_27

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015
This is the only review I found that has gave a decibel rating to the speaker and at 90 decibels hearing loss starts.
That is very impressive for a unit of that size and the fact it is voice operated just sealed the deal on me buying one.

bukzin

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Have a look at the extended possibilities with the Echo at the users forum

echotalk.org

Also, if you want to control lights, door locks, security systems etc look at wiki.winkathome.net

Status
Not open for further replies.