Amazon Execs Testifying Against Apple in Price Fixing Case

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]So you're OK with Amazon selling e books at a loss in order to get a monopoly in the market by eliminating competitors who can't afford to sell at a loss?Do you actually think Amazon will sell e books at less than wholesale forever? If so I've got a bridge to sell you.[/citation]
What you just said shows your ignorance. Amazon doesn't sell e-books at a loss, rather that's how they make their money while selling the Kindles at a loss. Those electronics are what is sold lower than the cost to produce them. Get your facts straight...

"We sell the hardware at our cost, so it is break-even on the hardware. We are not trying to make money on hardware; we want to make money when people use our devices, not when people buy our devices. After you buy Kindle Fire HD, you may use it to buy books, games, movies and so on. So that continuing relationship with the customer is what we hope to make money on over time," said Jeff Bezos, the founder and chief executive officer of Amazon, in an interview with BBC.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
All I know is before Apple entered the fray, e-books were less expensive than paperbacks and hardcovers.

Since Apple entered the fray, the prices of e-books is now above that of printed material; especially for releases available on paperback. It doesn't make a damn bit of sense. There are far less resources and costs involved in getting the e-book to a customer than those involve with getting printed material to the customer. Even new releases were far cheaper. It makes sense that the publishers are able to pass production and distribution cost savings on to their customers. It also increases sales volumes.

The first time I realized I paid more for the Kindle edition of a book than what was listed as the paperback price, I actually called Amazon to ask if they had made a mistake in the pricing. Sadly, they hadn't.

The paper publishing companies are a dying breed. They are hanging on to every last shred of the old business as they can because they haven't been able to adapt with the exception of fixing prices.

Most authors can direct publish through Amazon these days. There's a lot of good material out there that doesn't even need to pass through the staunch old-fashioned decision makers at the publishing houses any longer to make it to our e-devices. We're seeing a similar trend in the music business. The thing about the music business, though, is we've seen the prices drop significantly. It wasn't long ago that you had to pay $20 for a CD with one or two good songs on it. Now you can grab any song you like for $.99.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]So you're OK with Amazon selling e books at a loss in order to get a monopoly in the market by eliminating competitors who can't afford to sell at a loss?Do you actually think Amazon will sell e books at less than wholesale forever? If so I've got a bridge to sell you.[/citation]

currently, you get a whole sale price. if you want to sell the product at no proffit or even at a loss, that is your problem

in this case, its an e book... its not something that costs much of anything to hold, has no physical storeage and costs you nothing to carry.

if amazon wants to sell at a loss, its their problem, but the fact is if they did become a monopaly that way, than raised their prices, somone else would come along and sell at a VERY low if no margin of proffit, just because of how this media works.

amazon is willing to sell books at a very low profit margin, i cant fault them for that.

[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]Book publishers and writers should be able to set their own prices, not Amazon. Everyone is entitled to earn a living. I write tablet software fora living and charge what I think my software is worth to ensure I make a living out of it. The last thing I would want is someone telling me I can't do that.[/citation]

they sell them the ebook at the whole sale price.
as in the price they sell the physical book for.
under their own price methods, some ebooks cost more than their physical books.

[citation][nom]Uberragen21[/nom]What you just said shows your ignorance. Amazon doesn't sell e-books at a loss, rather that's how they make their money while selling the Kindles at a loss. Those electronics are what is sold lower than the cost to produce them. Get your facts straight... "We sell the hardware at our cost, so it is break-even on the hardware. We are not trying to make money on hardware; we want to make money when people use our devices, not when people buy our devices. After you buy Kindle Fire HD, you may use it to buy books, games, movies and so on. So that continuing relationship with the customer is what we hope to make money on over time," said Jeff Bezos, the founder and chief executive officer of Amazon, in an interview with BBC.[/citation]

they dont sell the kindle at a loss, they sell it at break even prices, with the exception of ad supported versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.