Amazon Founder Wishes to Open Retail Stores

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
What would Amazon carry in a retail store? Everything (since they sell everything?)?

Comparing this to Apple stores... Apple is a brand and also a status symbol (even though anyone with the right amount of credit can buy in and many do this way). It's a sense of belonging to some elite club. Owning one of the latest Apple products buys you in.

This is not Amazon.

I think opening a retail outlet would be a mistake for Amazon. Amazon's success is based around the online shopping experience and their ability to provide great customer service as well as their ability to handle returns exceptionally. If I buy a pair of shoes that don't fit right, they'll have another pair at my door by the next day while I have 30 days to return the ill-fitting pair. This type of customer service reduces the perceived risk involved with dealing with an online company.

Retail stores appeal primarily to the baby boomer generation which is increasingly leaving the market as the years go by.

Now that I think of it, if the Amazon retail outlets can appeal to females, they will be a success.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]keyanf[/nom]I do not comprehend.[/citation]

Agreed, since interwebs made a huge dent into retail shopping. BUT successful stores are typically all-in-ones (ie Wal-Mart) and since Amazon sells everything they may actually pull it off since the main down side to internet shopping is waiting for you stuff to arrive; compared to buying immediately at a store.

Status
Not open for further replies.