Amazon is Launching an Android App Store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I can't believe that here in Hong Kong and in a lot of other markets, Google - with all the resources that they have - haven't got their act together to get the paid apps store out yet!
Come on! What do you want us Android users to do, switch to Apple?

G

I was kinda hoping Amazon would force Google to up their game. US only is an epic fail.

tuch92

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
I don't like these "exclusive" app stores. The great thing about Android was that I could get pretty much exactly the phone I wanted on any carrier and I would work the same regardless of carrier.

Now other than service, there's things you can get get only on a certain carriers or services which makes Android lose its uniformity/openness. This is a backwards step in my opinion.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
apps will also supposedly be "laced with Amazon DRM"

No thanks. I went Android because it's open source. I have no objection to paying for something I want, but DRM it and you lose my dollars.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
But I like the idea that Google may eventually fear some competition on Android Apps. I am more than upset by Google's actual way of (not) doing things: in Belgium, you can only access free apps. All the rest won't appear on our Android Market app as Google didn't even do his homework (which is just adapt their T&C's to our local laws and work with our phone providers). Amazon's threat may force Google to move in the right direction.

G

This is fine at least until apps start to become exclusive to one market or the other. Then you will have to check all the markets for the app you want, freedom and openness is great as long as the end user benefits, not sure if everyone being able to open their own market is beneficial to the end-user, and i'm sure it's not if indeed apps become market-exclusive.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
[citation][nom]dan117[/nom]Just great... Market fragmentation...[/citation]

Android has been going this way for ages, its already bad in that phones have all different OS versions. With loads of different App stores it will be exceedingly annoying. A single App store is the best way.

dan117

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]Android has been going this way for ages, its already bad in that phones have all different OS versions. With loads of different App stores it will be exceedingly annoying. A single App store is the best way.[/citation]

Yeah, because HTC won't release 2.2 for all the phones so they can sell the new ones or they are just lazy.
I had to install Cyanogenmod 6.0 on my Magic and the warranty is gone, but it's worth it (runs waay better than 1.5)
I don't want to have to hack the market too because of bad support (no paid apps in romania...).

G

Why? Maybe first they should get some REAL apps on the Android Marketplace first. I bought a Samsung Captivate on the recommendation that there market place and game apps where the greatest. Sadly, Mostly all the games are crap. The only real plus are the emulators which if I wanted to play something that old I would just dust off my Nintendo and play on that. I still find myself playing on my Ipod Touch more then I will ever use my Captivate unless some real developers start producing for the Android.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]g-thor[/nom]No thanks. I went Android because it's open source. I have no objection to paying for something I want, but DRM it and you lose my dollars.[/citation]

Well if you want real open source you might want to look into webOS for your next mobile device.

Status
Not open for further replies.