Amazon Prime Cost Jumping to $99

Status
Not open for further replies.

hajila

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
It'd be nice to see Prime broken up into multiple categories. Charge me half for just the shipping, and a full $99 for all the bells and whistles. Of course if they itemized I imagine I wouldn't be the only one unwilling to pay for their streaming content.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
im not gonna hate since this is due to gas prices rising, but this definitely cements that I wont be renewing my membership in november. Im in Puerto Rico and the Amazon Prime perks for me(as well as Alaska and Hawaii) are not as pretty as advertised. We dont get free 2 day shipping, that costs us around $12/lb. We get 4-7 day USPS priority shipping, but even that is shady since 3 of my last 5 orders have gone through parcel pool which often takes a week or more. its just not worth it anymore. $99 is just too much for something I already consider too expensive at $80.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Sadly I will not be renewing either most likely will stop shopping at amazon all together. I know that sounds harsh but typically Amazon is a little more pricey on prime eligible items. Hopefully they decided this was a really poor idea before I renew. I have a feeling there going to lose a LOT of customers way more then that 20 extra dollars a month offsets.

stevenmi89

Estimable
Mar 6, 2014
Sadly I will not be renewing either most likely will stop shopping at amazon all together. I know that sounds harsh but typically Amazon is a little more pricey on prime eligible items. Hopefully they decided this was a really poor idea before I renew. I have a feeling there going to lose a LOT of customers way more then that 20 extra dollars a month offsets.
I still think it's worth it. Its not an extra 20 a month, its 20 a year. If you do alot of shopping on Amazon that free 2-day shipping makes up for the 100 bucks fast. Also, the streaming options are getting better.

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
It's still very much worth it, and I can't blame Amazon, they have low profit margin for being so huge. Shipping is most likely getting more expensive too. If your ordering dozens to hundreds of packages a year this is still an incredibly good deal.

vpoko

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
I'll pay the $99. It's a no-brainer for people who buy a lot through Amazon. I've never even used the streaming, it's just the free shipping that's important to me.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
I purchase almost exclusively through Amazon, when I can, since pricing is great, 2 day shipping rocks (heck $3.99 OVERNIGHT - seriously?), and the prime streaming stuff makes me not have to pay for something like Netflix. Granted I don't watch a ton of streaming stuff, but when I do content is available.People complaining of $1.67 a month definitely do not use the service enough or just need to not super size their meal a couple of times during the year - that'll cover the increase.

spdragoo

Distinguished
Herald
Oct 17, 2011
I purchase almost exclusively through Amazon, when I can, since pricing is great, 2 day shipping rocks (heck $3.99 OVERNIGHT - seriously?), and the prime streaming stuff makes me not have to pay for something like Netflix. Granted I don't watch a ton of streaming stuff, but when I do content is available.People complaining of $1.67 a month definitely do not use the service enough or just need to not super size their meal a couple of times during the year - that'll cover the increase.
The price makes it cost about the same as Netflix. They also have about 60-75% of the same content as Netflix, & neither one provides the current season of on-air shows as part of Prime (Amazon makes them available, but you have to pay the usual $1-3/episode or $20-30/full season).Now, if you really can't afford more than the $8/month that each service costs, it comes down to which TV shows or movies you want to have access to...& which ones you're willing to pick & trade for. Personally, though, at roughly $16/month for both Netflix & Amazon Prime, I not only get the best of both worlds, but can still rent about 10 movies each month from Redbox & still save money over any cable/satellite company's "introductory" offers. That covers about 95-99% of the content we want to watch... with Hulu (the free version) or the various network websites covering the remainder.

spdragoo

Distinguished
Herald
Oct 17, 2011
The price makes it cost about the same as Netflix. They also have about 60-75% of the same content as Netflix, & neither one provides the current season of on-air shows as part of Prime (Amazon makes them available, but you have to pay the usual $1-3/episode or $20-30/full season).Now, if you really can't afford more than the $8/month that each service costs, it comes down to which TV shows or movies you want to have access to...& which ones you're willing to pick & trade for. Personally, though, at roughly $16/month for both Netflix & Amazon Prime, I not only get the best of both worlds, but can still rent about 10 movies each month from Redbox & still save money over any cable/satellite company's "introductory" offers. That covers about 95-99% of the content we want to watch... with Hulu (the free version) or the various network websites covering the remainder.

capt_taco

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I may be in the minority, but I think Amazon Prime is a big hoax. You get "free 2-day shipping," but just like the "free shipping" on orders over $25, they simply build the shipping costs into the item price. The movie service is basically just a portal to a paid rental service unless you want to watch stuff that's really really old. I don't see the value in it whether it's $99, $79, or $20.

groundhogdaze

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
I'm gonna keep my membership. I buy a ton of stuff from Amazon but usually only if the stuff is on sale and I have family in Hawaii which I send junk to and the Prime shipping is great for that. I've only used their video streaming once or twice since I'm used to Netflix. Wondering if I should cancel Netflix and find out what Amazon video has to offer. How good is their video offering for kids?

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
@spdragoo - I can afford a Netflix account, I just don't stream a lot of content so there is little value in it for me. @capt_taco - no hoax I have seen and prices are usually lower or right on other places for the items I tend to purchase (tech gear). I have been using Prime for years now and in the beginning I would agree that price inflation was rampant on Prime items, but I have not seen that in quite a while (just my experience of course). @vista - what don't you trust? Reviews or the products? I don't read a single review on Amazon - I do independent research on any product I buy then usually get it from Amazon (possibly Newegg since they have a warehouse in SoCal) so I can get free shipping. Again, overnight pricing cannot be beat. For me, if the item is not available via Prime I do not buy it on Amazon. It is Prime or bust as far as I am concerned (then I have to go off somewhere else to buy the item of course.)

Status
Not open for further replies.