News Amazon set to ditch Android in ‘all devices’ — and it's starting with Fire TV

Fifth313ment

Estimable
Feb 24, 2020
Yeah, if they go through with this I'll stop using Amazon devices. The only reason I even use their devices is due to Android compatibility. They should be lucky so many people keep them while they blast us with ADs 247.

Nov 11, 2023
If Amazon goes through with this it will be so they can be a closed system like Apples where the only place you can get apps is from them and for me will be why all my Amazon devices * the trash can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 12, 2023
I think it's about time these companies that have made billions off of us do something not for profit but for the betterment of all

Apr 2, 2023
Yeah, if they go through with this I'll stop using Amazon devices. The only reason I even use their devices is due to Android compatibility. They should be lucky so many people keep them while they blast us with ADs 247.
Could not agree with this more. I use several ANDROID apps on my firetv sticks - one is Channels. If they go away from Android, I can't get my local stations anymore.

How could they even be allowed to do this on devices already sold? Amazon is getting to be too big, too selfish, and too destructive.

Nov 13, 2023
Yeh if they do this to my firecubes ill be selling and getting rid. 40% my apps are android apps i have to sideload as the amazon store is so poor. Got rid of roku for firecubes as it was only one that i could afford and compatible with apk files and google chromecast was too basic for me.

Hope this is false and i will certainly get rid of all my alexa products if they do this. Its already filled with huge amount of ads as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 15, 2023
So, no Netflix? Good luck with that, Amazon. That's like 60% of the use case of my older Fire tablet.

Maybe the OS doesn't matter for pure smart speakers as long as there's an Android app (I use quite a few routines). I find their Alexa is lagging behind, it's the epitome of artificial dumbness, in 2023 these things should be Chatbot gAI level. I have four of them (insane, but we don't use physical light switches much anymore). Way too often Alexa struggles even with setting a kitchen timer⌛ and I stopped asking it questions due to the poor quality. I lowered my expectations to getting the news and play Spotify music. Even asking for the weather is less then impressive. But that's off topic.