Amazon's finally put a stop to the one thing keeping me from getting a Ring camera

Jan 27, 2024
I think you need to clarify this a bit the police CAN get your video just an extra step needed, get a warrant from a judge which is not difficult to get. trackers on cars were placed w/o a warrant but that changed and now a warrant is needed.

Jan 27, 2024
"Ring would then forward the request to homeowners in the vicinity, who could choose whether or not to share their footage voluntarily."

If Ring forwarded the request to the homeowner for approval and the final answer came from them, I'm not sure I understand your issue. If Ring was disseminating directly to agencies without the owner's knowledge/consent, then yes, that is a huge deal. Though, unless I misread, the owner always had the final say. Why do you deem the solicitation here as "controversial?" People regularly solicit (think: cookies, magazines, etc.), and that's never been controversial, to use your word. Is it because of the entity making the request? If so, this stinks of some form of bias, which, FWIW, seems to be a popular opinion to have in this 'defund the police' era we now live in.

TL;DR
If I ultimately have the final say over the dissemination of my data, requiring a legal document to request it from me is even worse, as now I don't have a say as Ring just became compelled by a court order to provide said data, not even requiring my input or permission.