Amazon's "Gay" Glitch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

From here: http://www.livescience.com/strange [...] s_god.html

Someone in the comments made an interesting point, the article says "xx% DON'T believe", they don't actually say what percentage DO believe, nor do they say if there was an "I don't know" answer on the survey. Naturally, one would word it as "xx% DO believe in god". They are choosing their wording very carefully without providing the actual data. But hey, they have their own website, so it must be true.

jdw_swb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
[citation][nom]edeawillrule[/nom]I don't judge the world. People can live their lives and do what they want as long as it harms noone. What gives him the right to judge someone's way of life?And besides I didn't say he couldn't speak his opinion I just said keep it to himself if he doesn't have anything to say that isn't vulgar and rude. Especially if it condemns others.And go christop![/citation]

Seems like your judging others in the same way.

If you can tell him to keep his opinions to himself....surely you should do the same.

What gives you the right to tell others what they should find acceptable and tolerable?

G

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can change this."

-Albert Einstein(famous "Jewish" guy)

Let's stop granting validity to the opinions all people claiming the title "scientist", and limit ourselves to those who were truly ingenious. I imagine we'll hit about 100% atheist if we limit ourselves to the Einsteins of the world, none of whom had time to give a crap what gays do in the privacy of their own home.

OrderChaos

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Let's stop granting validity to the opinions all people claiming the title "scientist", and limit ourselves to those who were truly ingenious.

sorry for the double post and I know I'm probably only feeding the fire that's going to burn this news page to the ground, but I needed to thank you for making it clear to everyone how close minded you are in your unbelief... you aren't even willing to listen to anyone who disagrees with you, Good Job!! go join Hitler and leave the rest of us to listen to ALL the opinions and make up our own minds.

OrderChaos

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Ok, so triple post, but there is no edit post button here (can you guys who run this place fix that plz?)

I just wanted to also clear up this part of EinsteinFanboy's post: Einstein was born jewish, but grew up to be Agnostic, not athiest, not christian. He believed in God (largely because it was discovered there was a beginning to the universe which means it had to be created by God)

He didn't believe in a personal God like Christianity or Judaism, so he can be classified as Agnostic, not athiest as you state... and to show you that is true check here and here and here if you don't believe me.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Lame...there are more important and concerning topics to discuss than a homosexual book error. Imagine if people put the same amount of effort into unifying the country and doing what's in the best interest of the majority as they do for themselves and their political party/ideology. I swear...Republicans, Democrats, different races, ages, sexes, sexuality, religion, etc. work so hard and get so spun up about differences (usually under the false guise of equality) that they do a lot more harm than good, don't win people to their cause, and continue to bring the country as a whole down.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]orderchaos[/nom]He believed in God (largely because it was discovered there was a beginning to the universe which means it had to be created by God)[/citation]
How does that prove that it had to be created by a god? Such a proof would take centuries to research and write based on the assumption that any proof at all even exists that can support the theory of a "higher being". He, and many other scientists who are either agnostic or theistic, saw the beauty in the order of everything in the scientific realm as an indication that if their was a god, He would never be able to be empirically proven to exist (or not exist) by means of science, though the grand scale and order of the universe seems to adhere to some master plan created by some "prime mover" of sorts due to the overall scientific elegance of just about everything.
I adhere to the belief in the number 42, the answer to "Life, The Universe, and Everything," where 42 is the exponent to which the probability of anything existing at all is raised to, i.e. the chances of the universe being started and life on Earth even forming are something on the order of 1x10^42 to one against.
I'll jump on the "traditional marriage" bandwagon just as soon as somebody can empirically prove that gay couples are a detriment to the sanctity of marriage and the integrity of family life any more than straight couples who marry for all the wrong reasons, propagate, cheat on each other, and divorce when they realize that they really are miserable with each other, all without learning from their mistakes and after all is said and done are responsible for bringing into the world children who now have to grow up in a broken or ass-backward home because they will never be able to understand what it really takes to make a relationship last long-term, whether it be socially, professionally, spiritually, or whatever. If you can't learn how to deal with people who are not intrinsically like you, you will never make it very far in this world or lead a fulfilling life.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Much ado about nothing which is usual for the gay community. Take off the tin foil hats. Amazon makes a living selling things they don't give a damn if you are a homosexual.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
The gay book in question wasn't even adult and yet the letter from Amazon stated that it was excluded for that reason. See the author's LiveJournal posts here http://markprobst.livejournal.com/

ooo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Omnipotent = a been that can do anything...
If God is omnipotent, then god make a stone so heavy so heavy that u cant sustain ...what? you cant make such a huge rock.. then ur not God..
God makes the stone... what? u make a stone big enough that cant be sustained by you God? then ur a liar, God is omnipotent...

Nah theres no God just us... better help each other more...

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I think Amazon's got every right to do whatever it wants to its store. Only when their bottom line starts hurting because of boycotts, then they might change their idea.

But in all honesty, it doesn't matter if these were GLBT or straight books that got categorized to the "adult" section. They're books, and they belong to the Amazon store. They proved that other straight books were recategorized to adult too...so they're not picking on the GLBT community, no matter what they want to believe.

P.S. The GLBT community is known for making a huge commotion about everything...now, that can be a good thing, and/or a bad thing. Personally, I think they're exaggerating this matter too much.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
And uh, guys. Stop debating God. This is a GLBT vs. Amazon topic, not some religious preaching ground. Perhaps create a thread in the forums to debate God. Just not in here.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Any book that's even remotely sexual should have a different category on Amazon. You should have to go to click on a 'SEX' tab or something where you verify your age. I don't want my 9 year old looking a playboys, lingere, nudie books or anything of the like. Too many times I've looked for items on Amazon that are no sexual in any way,shape, or form only to have more lingere pop up.

I support Amazon in it's measures. They should just be public about it. They shouldn't discriminate against homo items either, block them all.

fooldog01

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
"The Filly" sounds like it should be in the "Ripoff" category. Brokeback Mountain? Gay cowboys. That just seems ridiculous no matter how much I try and make it not.

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
If items that Amazon genuinely sells, are not showing up in Search results, how can you possibly argue that "Amazon can do what they want!"

"I don't want to see that gay stuff!"

It was obviously a mistake. Why would they want to reduce the consumers access to their products?

I'm sure Amazon as a company is a bit more mature than the average Toms Hardware comment poster.

G

The belief in God must inherently include the belief that God created some people gay. You ever met someone who was REALLY gay? Trust me, it's not a choice, LOL. At any rate, gay people are fun, gay clubs are way more hopping than your typical frat-boy bar, try taking a lady there some time.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Reminds me of when it auto-suggested on Google a couple of years ago, when asked about "Abortion" with a "Did you mean Pro-Life?". It was automated system trying to find trends and decided that would be useful, mathematically, to a significant group. People got in an uproar that people searching for abortion would be subjected cruelly to a single line of text above their searches asking if maybe they'd be interested in not killing their babies.

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]FlayerSlayer[/nom]Reminds me of when it auto-suggested on Google a couple of years ago, when asked about "Abortion" with a "Did you mean Pro-Life?". It was automated system trying to find trends and decided that would be useful, mathematically, to a significant group. People got in an uproar that people searching for abortion would be subjected cruelly to a single line of text above their searches asking if maybe they'd be interested in not killing their babies.[/citation]

"Did you mean Belly Flop Competition?"

G

How did we get from butt-fucking cowboys to a debate on religion? Shouldn't we be discussing lubes and the pros and cons of pitching or receiving?

Status
Not open for further replies.