AMD driver update

onamiller

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016
I am asked to pay close to $30 for a download as their check found 5 drivers needing updates. Since I am a 74 year old novice I would like to know from someone in the business if I should or need to do that. Thank you for your time.

Solution
You could go into Control Panel>Device Manager and find each AMD related device then right click the first one and go to Properties. Go to the Details tab and scroll to Take note o fthe four characters which follow VEN for vendor and the four after DEV for device.

Go to http://www.pcidatabase.com, input the DEV reference into the appropriate box and hit Enter. A list will show up - match the device to the VEN reference and click. A longer list shows up but sadly, not in numeric order so use your browser's Find facility (usually under the Edit menu) to find the device. You'll then see links to the proper driver and the proper site - not a fake that only cons you. With luck you'll get an .exe file might it may also be a Zip...
You could go into Control Panel>Device Manager and find each AMD related device then right click the first one and go to Properties. Go to the Details tab and scroll to Take note o fthe four characters which follow VEN for vendor and the four after DEV for device.

Go to http://www.pcidatabase.com, input the DEV reference into the appropriate box and hit Enter. A list will show up - match the device to the VEN reference and click. A longer list shows up but sadly, not in numeric order so use your browser's Find facility (usually under the Edit menu) to find the device. You'll then see links to the proper driver and the proper site - not a fake that only cons you. With luck you'll get an .exe file might it may also be a Zip.

Work your way down the list until you have all five, free of any charges.

Solution

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
And as a general rule when you search for "AMD drivers" or other such thing please be aware that the first or second returns are NOT what you think they are. You might think searching for drivers will lead you directly to the site you get them, but it's possible you are lead to a different place by using the first return from the search. You should be at www.amd.com If you aren't, then you aren't where you want to be. This applies to not only your current issue, but possibly future ones as well.