Amount of Android Malware Surges in Q3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

drenyx

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
...in 48% of all cases victims of cybercriminals used Gingerbread, which was installed on 55% of all devices, while in 43% of all cases the victims had Ice Cream Sandwich, the latest version of Android OS, which is installed on 23.7% of all devices," said Securelist.

and I thought I dropped that english class because my run-on sentances were bad.

In other news...phones like my wife's is running Jelly Bean already, (4.1.x) so ICS is not the latest version of Android OS

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Really? When is Tom's going to fire Zak? This is hardly journalism especially considering the fact that his sources on this are security firms.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]Really? When is Tom's going to fire Zak? This is hardly journalism especially considering the fact that his sources on this are security firms.[/citation]By getting you to click and read the article Zak is performing his job wonderfully...why would THG fire him for that? Furthermore, the article, like most of those he writes, is indeed informative..at least at some level. Some folks that are new to Android might not know the degree to which Android malware exists and you can never be to knowledgeable. All you folks seem to be waiting for him to write an article about how much Apple sucks...and anything else is not good enough.

Sheesh.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Sideloading is NOT enabled by default, but the OS gives power users the option to do so, if they desire. Now, if these users actually knew what they were doing....
JB is the latest version of Android, not ICS. This alone shoots down the article, because it shows the ignorance of the "expert" on the topic he/she is writing about. 'Nuff said. Same goes for the couple of Apple trolls above, your ignorance is glowing and only proves the point about iOS users being tech-illiterate.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]November 2013....that's a very long time to wait for a security patch...sad very sad[/citation]

umm, that's November 13TH not 2013. idiot.

BTW Zak, I didn't know that Android 4.2 will be called Jelly Bean! How you are in this business, we'll never know.

jojesa

Distinguished
[citation][nom]marcolorenzo[/nom]umm, that's November 13TH not 2013. idiot.BTW Zak, I didn't know that Android 4.2 will be called Jelly Bean! How you are in this business, we'll never know.[/citation]
Don't be so harsh on Zak...he just copied and pasted the news here so we don't have to browse around the World Wide Web.
Note:Android 4.2 it is still called Jelly Bean.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Sideloading is NOT enabled by default, but the OS gives power users the option to do so, if they desire. Now, if these users actually knew what they were doing.... JB is the latest version of Android, not ICS. This alone shoots down the article, because it shows the ignorance of the "expert" on the topic he/she is writing about. 'Nuff said. Same goes for the couple of Apple trolls above, your ignorance is glowing and only proves the point about iOS users being tech-illiterate.[/citation]
You do realize the portion of the article that calls ICS the latest is a quote from Securelist and not from Zak Islam right? Also, if you read the Securelist article, you will see that they are talking about September, a month where hardly any phones had JB, so ICS would have been the latest version of the OS that was truly available to people. I myself just got my ICS update for my phone about 2 weeks ago.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]You do realize the portion of the article that calls ICS the latest is a quote from Securelist and not from Zak Islam right? Also, if you read the Securelist article, you will see that they are talking about September, a month where hardly any phones had JB, so ICS would have been the latest version of the OS that was truly available to people. I myself just got my ICS update for my phone about 2 weeks ago.[/citation]
You do realize that the "expert" I was referring to was this

" the latest version of Android OS, which is installed on 23.7% of all devices," said Securelist."

right? When I refer to Zak I always call it.
Also, the quote does not mention the availability of JB, just the fact that ICS is the latest version of the OS, along with the "fact" that JB is 4.2 (when in fact it is 4.1 and continues with 4.2). That last mistake, BTW, was Zak's, not Securelist's.

People need to get their facts straight, at least when they post articles on websites for everyone to read. Otherwise they just make fools out of themselves (in this case, mission accomplished for Zak AND Securelist).
Last but not least, my comment was directed at the ignorance of some Apple trolls that were making irrelevant points about the security of Android OS, along with the ignorant users that start installing apps by sideloading without even being aware of the risks of doing so. The reason for that little chip on your shoulder eludes me in the context of my original comment.
If you don't like inaccuracies, take it up with the ones that commit them, not with the one that reports them.

Status
Not open for further replies.