Analyst: Apple Has Hardware Fix for iPhone 4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kohvitass

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
"there is no problem with the phone.....and if you pay $40, we will DOUBLE your reception!"
*crowd goes wild and throws money at steve*

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'Sad thing is I was posting the antenna problem story to some of my friends in iPhone lines, and they stayed in line and still bought the phone.'

I know what you mean, it's pretty stupid to buy a product which has a known hardware problem, especially if there's a big announcement coming which could well propose a fix.

I think a lot of people are using a bit of common sense though. Rather than going around trying to put the phone in a 'death grip' I think they'll just use it normally and not suffer any of the problems.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Sorry, i just dont believe Apple would ever admit that it is faulty, "nothing" they ever create are flawed (beside green mac sceens, their latest phoone and exploding ipods) but they try to maintain the image that everything they ever touch "just works" and by admiting that their latest and "greatest" is flawed... i dont think so!

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Why are so many people buying Apple's garbage? Apple has never made a truly amazing product in any market. Android is the clear winner in the mobile phone market and no Android does not owe its existence to Apple. It's truly original. There's nothing that Mac OS X can do on the desktop that Windows can't do better. Apple can't even make a truly secure operating system like Microsoft does. In Mac OS X it's still possible for a single application to make the OS unresponsive (pinwheel of death), something that doesn't happen in 64-bit Windows 7.

Anyone who honestly believes that the iPhone or any other Apple product is superior to the competition is a moron.

Alatheia00

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Ok im gonna go all out here and say would it be so far fetched, that the antenna problem was deliberate.

Think about it, the only way to fix it is to purchase a $30 bumper or case and from what I have heard you will also need to get a new adapter charger as the old one won't fit the case. This is disgusting business practice, but iphone sales are staggering even with the antenna problem, the bottom line is the imorons out there are really devoid of a basic level intelligence and are getting fleeced on a regular basis, why do I care, because its bad for the customer in the long run with other business adopting the same tactics.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Why are so many people buying Apple's garbage? Apple has never made a truly amazing product in any market. Android is the clear winner in the mobile phone market and no Android does not owe its existence to Apple. It's truly original. There's nothing that Mac OS X can do on the desktop that Windows can't do better. Apple can't even make a truly secure operating system like Microsoft does. In Mac OS X it's still possible for a single application to make the OS unresponsive (pinwheel of death), something that doesn't happen in 64-bit Windows 7.Anyone who honestly believes that the iPhone or any other Apple product is superior to the competition is a moron.[/citation]
I disagree, the pinweel of death died when Apple went to a Unix foundation (OS X) I have owned two Apple laptops over the last 6 years, a G4 Powerbook and a new 13" Macbook Pro. Never ran into a pinweel of death in all that time.
I agree on the phone problems but they do make a sweet laptop.
I have also Windows since it became Windows and have Windows 7 64bit on my gaming rig right now. I will say OS X is better, better user interface and plenty secure as long as you are not stupid enough to download a program (free stuff) that has a Virus or Trojan in it.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
"If such a redesign is true, then the question remains: what will happen to the millions of iPhone 4 already in the hands of U.S. customers?"
Paper weight...

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
No there gonna announce the new iPhone 4GS which a fixes the antenna problem by pre-installing the bumper thing it will also cost 60$ more.

The slogan will be : You're holding it right.

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]the best and only thing Apple can do is offer Free in-store servicing to fix the phone (hopefully a simple task) at both Apple stores and AT&T.though, tbh, they should just send anyone who has an effected phone, a replacement. so what? it will cost like a billion dollars? who cares, thats a small one off hit, money isn't important to apple, THE CONTINUING SUPPLY OF IT IS!and imagine how much a response like that would just DOMINATE on a PR level, and THATS what really matters to them.[/citation]
PR? I think Steve-O is too proud to have a recall...

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]regulas[/nom]I disagree, the pinweel of death died when Apple went to a Unix foundation (OS X) I have owned two Apple laptops over the last 6 years, a G4 Powerbook and a new 13" Macbook Pro. Never ran into a pinweel of death in all that time.I agree on the phone problems but they do make a sweet laptop.I have also Windows since it became Windows and have Windows 7 64bit on my gaming rig right now. I will say OS X is better, better user interface and plenty secure as long as you are not stupid enough to download a program (free stuff) that has a Virus or Trojan in it.[/citation]
The pinwheel of death is still very real, even if it doesn't happen to you, I've run into it plenty of times in the last 3 years. And @techguy, Win7 isn't perfect either, I've brought down my win7 x64 machine to the point of forcing a hard reboot due to software issues. Linux isn't anything magical either, I've had to use REISUB plenty of times over the years. The idea that any OS is a magic solution and will run 100% absolutely perfectly for 100% of the people 100% of the time is a load of hooey. I don't debate that some OSes are better for some people than others, it all depends on what you want your machine to do and what you're most comfortable with, i.e. use what you like best and stop worrying so much about what others are using.

baldinie

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
it wouldn't cost that much to replace them, we know the shitephone only cost £120 ($180) x 3 million units (not including shops and apple stores that have stock orders). That's only £360million. And since they're charging £600 for this crap, i think their precious profit margins can take one for the team to actually fulfill a warranty agreement for once. The most honourable thing to do if a redesign is in the works, and they acknowledge the defect would be to stop selling the fucking thing till its fixed!

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]The pinwheel of death is still very real, even if it doesn't happen to you, I've run into it plenty of times in the last 3 years. And @techguy, Win7 isn't perfect either, I've brought down my win7 x64 machine to the point of forcing a hard reboot due to software issues. Linux isn't anything magical either, I've had to use REISUB plenty of times over the years. The idea that any OS is a magic solution and will run 100% absolutely perfectly for 100% of the people 100% of the time is a load of hooey. I don't debate that some OSes are better for some people than others, it all depends on what you want your machine to do and what you're most comfortable with, i.e. use what you like best and stop worrying so much about what others are using.[/citation]
If you have older Windows and DOS software that won't run properly under Windows 7 then you can use virtualization software. Whether you use DOSEMU, VMware or VirtualBox it's extremely easy to do and takes just a few minutes of your time. If an app is 100% compatible with Windows NT then it's highly unlikely it will freeze Windows 7 itself.

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
The iPhone didn't have any problems because Steve were holding it wrong! Now he finally realized his mistake and moved the antennas to the place where you NOW shouldn't hold the phone. So if anyone gets problems with the new model, they are certainly holding it wrong.

G

Fix the iPhone? How?? The iPhone is perfect - it is people that have the desgin flaw.
What are the odds Apple just surgically remove the left hand of every iPhone user in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.