Analysts Estimate Nintendo 3DS Parts Cost $101

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]beamthegreat1[/nom]too expensive? Are you a frickin janitor or what?? even of it cost 100 to make, the advertising, R&D, marketing, labor, tax, and wholesale price would probably cost them an extra 100 which will leave them with onlly 50$ profit which is only 25% which is very low compared to other products. So shut up all of you cheap bastard who thinks that the company should sell them for no profit.[/citation]

lets look at it this way, lets assume that over a a consoles development time, r&d is 1 billion before launch, thats probably WAY more than a hand held costs to r&d but its an example

lets say that they are makeing about 100 pure proffit in america, and about 150 in japan.

before the first revision, im betting the system will sell 10-15 million, that is at minimum 1-1.5 billion proffit alone off console, not even taking into consideration the money they get per game sold for the system.

and by the end of the cycle this system will have sold close to 50million minimum. assuming that its going to be about 100$ profit world wide, for the consoles life that is 5 billion total.

and also, nintendo i don't believe r&d ed the screens, they r&d ed putting them in, but the tech itself.

if this 101$ is anywhere close, we are grossly overpaying for it, and i doubt that zelda would convince me to buy one, knowing that the above is true, nintendo put out decent tech and made money off its sale, they always have, but damnit, not at almost double the cost it takes to make, its the same reason i will not buy a tablet, or ipod, its hoe much you grossly overpay.

is it good, hell yea
but if this is true, i cant justify it at this price, though easily justifiable at a 50$ nintendo poffit (150-200$).

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]beamthegreat1[/nom]too expensive? Are you a frickin janitor or what?? even of it cost 100 to make, the advertising, R&D, marketing, labor, tax, and wholesale price would probably cost them an extra 100 which will leave them with onlly 50$ profit which is only 25% which is very low compared to other products. So shut up all of you cheap bastard who thinks that the company should sell them for no profit.[/citation]

Who else would play 3DS unless he is a frickin janitor who's ditching work?

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]worth it because of all the R&D?? REALLY?threw in a few slightly powerful chips, a 3d screen, and a thumbstick, and that justifies the $250 pricetag? fuckin BS[/citation]
Hardly worth the price because of the R&D, that is for sure. However, $250 is not much money to many people. I do not think the target market of this device is minimum wage or unemployed groups.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
These are just the costs for the parts and do not include assembly, software, shipping, R&D, service, warranty, advertisement, etc. etc.
I'm sure Nintendo's profit on this thing isn't small, but there is a lot more involved in making a 3DS work than just buying the parts and putting them together.

These are pretty simply economics. They sell it for the price the consumer is willing to pay.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Anyone else sick of these stupid cost of parts articles? Nevermind that it's speculation, but it's clear a lot of people don't understand that more goes into developing a system than cost of parts, which means this analysis is worth crap. It's worrisome when people don't seem to grasp such basic concepts. The outrage of some of you is actually funny. If you don't understand how R&D, shipping, labor, assembly, etc.all adds up, plus the company trying to make a profit. And if they're not making a profit, they'll just squeeze you some other way.

I guess some of you want them to sell these at $110 bucks and leave $9 to spread around between all of the workers involved in designing, assembling, shipping, and selling it.

sboults

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Remember nintendo ds lost TONS of game sales when kids got R4 cards. Simply no need to buy games off nintendo once you had one.

And don't give me the " they wouldn't have bought the game in the first place, loads of people I knew bought a few games, got an r4 a bit later and never bought one since."

They will not risk no profit on this console sale, it will be the most being hacked console on the market right now by a long shot. BIG money for the Chinese.

adam873873

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

I completely agree with you. All these factores contribute to the final retail price of a product, people just seem to think that solely the material cost is what augments prices?.. It goes much deeper then that and I for one think that this is a completely reasonable price.

Verrin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
[citation][nom]jitpublisher[/nom]I have watched many, many of these articles where something is broken down, and a price is somehow extracted based on the sum of the parts needed to build it. These types are articles are pure speculation by persons who know very little about manufacturing or the costs associated.The value of a particular item has nothing to do with the sum of the cost of the parts you need to build it. If you started a business based on the theory of these articles, you would be bankrupt before your product ever made to the stores. That is a fact, not speculation.[/citation]

If you can't cite specific cases where business failed before their product made it to stores because they based it on rudimentary manufacturing costs, then I'm afraid that isn't fact, but is speculation.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
it's funny, because they are apparently selling the 3ds for $15 more profit than the dsi

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Why's the 3DS so expensive? Because Nintendo's afraid of Piracy. They aren't gonna sell their portable system at a marginal profit margin only to be the only thing a person buys for the system. That's a poor business model.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
My unhappiness with the Wii and the general lack of anything but 3rd party shovelware for the DSi have stopped me from caching in on this.

Not to say that I won't have a go at this later, but I'm not going to try to get one on opening day like I did with the Wii :(

Status
Not open for further replies.