Android 2.2 Froyo Shown at Google I/O

Status
Not open for further replies.

madman322

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Anyone else read that article about how they are doing away with Android OS? USB tethering, 2-5x the speed, and flash player integrated? Yeah, I think Android is going to be around for a little while.

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
The next phone I buy will use this operating system and have the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8X72 1.5ghz dual-core CPU.

All I need now is for HTC to actually make it.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I heart Google. Keep it up!! WAHOO! Can't wait to get this update. The Wifi hotspot feature sounds awesome too. :) Glad to hear the Markerplace is getting updated. It needs it pretty bad. Thank goodness for updates! THANK YOU GOOGLE!

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Two words: Epic Win

Mainly against Apple. Keep it rolling....

One more thing: Android Developer Challenge was announced today: http://code.google.com/android/adc/

Funny how most of the stuff quoted:
As for other features, Froyo will allows users use voice commands to translate words and sentences, make calls, and even browse for complicated content.
Came from the ADC, for example Voicetrans translates words.
See: http://code.google.com/android/adc/gallery_education_reference.html

Pretty cool. This is what you get when you have an open environment for developers.

G

TunaSoda, 400% faster means 4 times faster.
been to school much? lol

No offence

drakenviator

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
I hate to say it but Verizon will most likely block tethering and mobile hotspot features of 2.2 for the US market. Verizon blocked the BlackBerry's tether feature, well unless you pay an extra $29.99 a month for the first 5 gigs. Heck the only reason they let Palm get away with hotspot capabilities with the Pre and the Pixi is because Palm agreed to 'subsidize' the feature.

In short don't be too excited yet, Verizon has a history of making sure people pay for added features that 2.2 is going to offer...

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]silky salamandr[/nom]I give a damn about froyo. Im still waiting for sprint and HTC to give my hero 2.1.[/citation]

This is why the Nexus One is the best Android phone. No waiting on carriers to get off their butts and update your phone.

rsg22

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
They are no longers [citation][nom]descendency[/nom]This is why the Nexus One is the best Android phone. No waiting on carriers to get off their butts and update your phone.[/citation]

It was, but now the Android team says that Android 2.2 won't be coming to the G1, because there isn't enough space for the OS to fit in the flash space.

ukgooey

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
Can't wait. Well, I can't wait for an HTC Evo 4G.

[citation][nom]silky salamandr[/nom]I give a damn about froyo. Im still waiting for sprint and HTC to give my hero 2.1.[/citation]
Join the club mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.