Android 2.2 Now the Dominant Version of Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
If it's a Samsung phone to get the 2.3 don't hold your breath until late this year. It took Sprint and Samsung forever to release 2.2 for our Epic 4G. It's now rumored 2.3 will be out "soon" and looking at their track record I am not going to hold my breath either.

Darkk

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Why all these phones are lagging and there are so few with 2.3?

What about reducing fragmentation? One OS for phones and tablets, one market, one UI?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Why all these phones are lagging and there are so few with 2.3?What about reducing fragmentation? One OS for phones and tablets, one market, one UI?[/citation]

I've a small feeling that's what Google are going to try and do with Ice Cream (Android 2.4 or whatever you want to call it).

I know this would go against the whole open source thing that Google has going on with Android, but vendors and carriers should really be obligated to update Android phones to the latest possible version. I also think that custom roms from manufacturers should be disallowed. Or at the very least, a manufacturer MUST offer the stock ROM with their devices to ensure upgrade ability off the bat of a new release and then offer their own custom ROM as an optional download later down the line. This ensures minimum fragmentation, but i guess it would mean Google forcing more control over Android which will make them like Apple or MS with their OS's. But i can't see any other way.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
The problem is that phones are not desktop pcs, the software has to be modified to fit the hardware it is going on and there are alot of different hardware platforms right now. So where windows can go on ANY desktop pc, Android has to be customized to each hardware platform.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Updated my Capativate from Android 2.1 to Froyo 2.2, a month ago, using miniKies. No problem what so ever. The OS upgrade was smooth all the way, and it only took 10 mins. I did not loose any data or personal settings at all. So I'm one happy Samsung customer. :)

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]I just want to get 2.3 on my incredible (official, not a baked rom)[/citation]
Forget official, root that thing and install CM7 or OMFGB! Am running CM7 RC2 on mine and it runs GREAT.

nocturnal1017

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
those 21% are ALL SAMSUNG Phones. they sale a shit load of them but none of them are even up to Froyo yet....and in Europe Gingerbread is rolling out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.