Android 2.3 Gingerbread Coming Dec 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I just wish android could be a little bit like iOS in one thing. That all android devices have access to the same OS and app store. Id love to have this on my cheap tablet I bought on ebay, but I know Ill be stuck with android 2.0 and a very limited crap app store forever... Or that google would at least make a version of the OS that has general compatibility.

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Really Google? How about smart phone companies (particularly HTC) work on getting the rest of their smart phones up to 2.2 first.
I aree with bustapr. I mean Im still battling with an HTC representative over email to get some info out of them about the release date of Froyo for the HTC Wildfire....
And its not like its even that old of a smart phone....

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]RealityClash[/nom]Really Google? How about smart phone companies (particularly HTC) work on getting the rest of their smart phones up to 2.2 first.I aree with bustapr. I mean Im still battling with an HTC representative over email to get some info out of them about the release date of Froyo for the HTC Wildfire....And its not like its even that old of a smart phone....[/citation]

i feel sorry for the sony android users still waiting for 2.1, let alone 2.2

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
It seems like there's a double hurdle to jump over. First, the phone manufacturer has to provide the update, then it has to go through the carrier because they want their crippleware added (or subtracted, depending). I think the next phone I get will be a Nexus. It seems to get the latest updates.

nutriment6464

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
[citation][nom]ttwerdun[/nom]2.2 on samsung galaxy would be nice as well...[/citation]

Yeah, they can't f***ing put 2.2 on my galaxy s, wtf samsung, they just want to make more money, wow I bet they'd seel twice as much if they'd update their os'es

G

Android 2.3 is being held up by the Samsung Nexus fiasco. Apparently the hardware was not fast enough so at the last minute Samsung switched to a dual coal processor for this phone which will show off 2.3. Once the hardware is ready then both will be released. Oh yeah, apparently Android 2.3 has problems with multicore so that is being addressed as well. I bet the 2.2 will be skipped over altogether for the Galaxy S phones...

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]I just wish android could be a little bit like iOS in one thing. That all android devices have access to the same OS and app store. Id love to have this on my cheap tablet I bought on ebay, but I know Ill be stuck with android 2.0 and a very limited crap app store forever... Or that google would at least make a version of the OS that has general compatibility.[/citation]

First, beyond the Galaxy tab (which has the standard Android store), your looking at tablet devices that are not main stream. What will be considered main stream android tablets will start showing up over the next six months and most of them have the Android delivered store. Some of the cheep tablet makers are pulling the Android store and putting up their own store with their own crappy apps (ARCHOS).

Second, Apple doesn't even release the same version of the iOS to all of its devices at the same time. The 4.2 update was not released for the iTouch until after it was available for the iPad and the iPhone. It's less noticeable because there really are only 3 devices (iPad,iPhone,iTouch) rather than 40+ phones and 5-6 tablets from multiple manufacturers.

Lastly, don't buy something before you know it does what you want. I would love an android tablet, but I am not going to settle for the junk thats out there right now (Galaxy Tab excluded). By this time next year there will be 10+ mainstream released android tablets with specs that surpass the iPad. I expect you will be able to get a device like the iPad/Galaxy Tab for less than $200 by Q1 2012. Competition will force the prices down.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]RealityClash[/nom]Really Google? How about smart phone companies (particularly HTC) work on getting the rest of their smart phones up to 2.2 first.I aree with bustapr. I mean Im still battling with an HTC representative over email to get some info out of them about the release date of Froyo for the HTC Wildfire....And its not like its even that old of a smart phone....[/citation]

I have the same feelings. I have a LG Ally that was confirmed to get FroYo but of course there was no timeline from Verizon or LG. Sad thing is that the Candian equivalent to the Ally, the LG Shine Plus (same phone just betetr camera res minus flash) from Telus has been verified to get FroYo in eairly winter this year. But the Ally still waits for some kind of word.

But we can't blame Google. They just create the OS. Its up to the phone makers and providers to get the OS update to the phone. From what I hear for my phone, Verizon is pointing fingers at LG and LG is staying super quiet on FroYo.

Google is pretty much Microsoft here. Microsoft can't force Dell, HP etc to move to the newest OS only.

G

shit i was told by many reps from tmobile that my mytouch slide was getting 2.2 in october and well still nothing wtf why put out phones with no promises of an upgrade in the future i guess the big cell phones wants us lil people to waste money on crud :(

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
To all who want 2.2: head to XDA developers forum... the chances are there is a working froyo 2.2 for your htc, Samsung, Sony phone even if you are running wm 6.5

I'm running froyo 2.2 on my HD2 (naively a windows phone)

onyx_64

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]To all who want 2.2: head to XDA developers forum... the chances are there is a working froyo 2.2 for your htc, Samsung, Sony phone even if you are running wm 6.5 I'm running froyo 2.2 on my HD2 (naively a windows phone)[/citation]
I agree! From all those who were complaining in the above threads, i think its best for me to buy a phone which is rootable... Just like how i am running the latest version of htc sense, on a phone that came with an horrible n laggy win 6.5.

and wow.. i didnt know we can run froyo on an HD2.. lemme see if i can do it for my Raphael..

G

Go root your phone and install 2.2 custom rom on it, if you cant do that, than 2.1 or 2.2 wont make much difference to you.

G

I feel sorry for you SMART PHONE SAPS.. sooner or later the carriers will provide a "push" upgrade service that seamlessly upgrades your o/s without any fuss or muss (or losing data) for a NICE FEE, of course (some financial guarantee applies & limit of liability).

Status
Not open for further replies.