Android 4.0.1 "ICS" Open Sourced by Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
"The new streamlined OS will also feature folders for better apps management (borrowing from iOS no less),"

Android OS's have had folders for some time now, not really a new feature. It was not included in Honeycomb I believe and is being re-added in ICS. It was in Gingerbread and previous versions.

All in all sounds interesting, looking forward to see what legacy devices will get the ICS update, but I have a feeling it will likely be only dual core for performance. So I may not be in luck with my Droid X time time around but one never knows.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Not sure they will like the idea of the consumer being able to remove the bloatware, that's the reason they put it on there, so the user can't take it off. I have a feeling companies will block that from happening.

G

companies block us from removing bloatware now and we remove it anyway. LOL. yea, its a pain. but hey if they get paid to install bloatware by companies and it makes my phone cheaper I am fine with it. it just hurts my opinion of the phone company, and whatever company the bloatware is for, then I root and remove it. its like reverse advertising

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
The new streamlined OS will also feature folders for better apps management (borrowing from iOS no less)
...Because apple invented the concept of sorting items into "folders"? Really?
What was that word that Windows used to replace "directories"? Hmmmm.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Awesome! So this means that by this time next year, there will be two devices (MAYBE three) that officially support this "update"! Cool! I like having to buy new Android devices every year, that way I can receive the latest updates stolen from Apple and brag about my phone's MHz online! Super stoked!

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Awesome! So this means that by this time next year, there will be two devices (MAYBE three) that officially support this "update"! Cool! I like having to buy new Android devices every year, that way I can receive the latest updates stolen from Apple and brag about my phone's MHz online! Super stoked![/citation]Glad you finally came around.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
What I want is background sound in Browsers, for listening to flash content while doing something else. (or at least turn the f'ing screen off) Also in apps like iPlayer... which uses flash, why would I want to have my screen on and stuck on a picture while listening to a podcast? If ICS repairs this, then I see a reason to update, otherwise, meh.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Awesome! So this means that by this time next year, there will be two devices (MAYBE three) that officially support this "update"! Cool! I like having to buy new Android devices every year, that way I can receive the latest updates stolen from Apple and brag about my phone's MHz online! Super stoked![/citation]
I was under the impression that Sony Ericsson would be putting ICS on the xperia arc, play, mini,....

Status
Not open for further replies.