Android Continues Creeping on BlackBerry, iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmoo500

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
The reason Android is winning is because it is way better than apple, as far as I am concerned the bb is a business smartphone.I love my droid x, it is funny when I compare it to people with iPhones and they say it is better because it is shiny.

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
The problem is that there are tons of Android phones and very few variations of the iPhone (if you can even consider the different hdd space as a variation). Its hard to compare them because of that.

zak_the_great

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
To be accurate and fair, The subject of the topic should be " Android continues to be more popular than Lunix, Windows embedded OS" comparing with BB or IOS seems ridiculous since none of these are open source OS. Reason for Android being more popular is obvious, none of the mobile vendors have any other choice of OS for smart phones other than Windows or make their own development using Linux in house OS. The latter is more expensive for each individual vendors. If you tally the numbers of all other vendors that were using Windows OS or their Own in house version of Linux)before the Android availability, the numbers compared to BB or IOS then the numbers will not be any different. With the availability of Android it allows the other vendors to make available comparable feature to Iphone. Sure Apple has to worry about app's availability if Android becomes more popular but should be minor issue since most developers will make the App for both. The loosing factor is that most developers will make the App compatible to both OS , however with Android the hardware from all vendors will never be the same so the apps will be tailored to the lowest capability of the hardware so the apps are compatible to all vendors. I think the losers are the consumers since they will not the get the Apps to take advantage of the hardware that is available. In the end, if it weren't for Iphone we would not be talking about Android since we will still be using stylus based OS.

G

We just got rid our iPhones for DroidX and Incredible. The iPhone is probably still the best...droid has a loooong way to go as far as ease of use is concerned, and the phones should be less expensive since they are noticeably 'cheap' comapred to iPhones. But, I'm glad to be done with Apple and iTunes...for sure. Just don't kid yourselves that the Android experience is as good as the iPhone experience at this point in time...

G

Blackberry doesn't even belong in the consumer smartphone discussion. It is okay for business use, but a joke for personal use when compared to modern smartphones.

G

How many Andriod phone as being used to run more than the built in applications? I expect that a lot of people buy Andriod phone due to the fact that they are cheaper and can browse the web, rather than buying them as “smart phones”.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
why all the iphone fanboys? droid is better, apple is a childs toy compared to droids hardware and ability to do whatever one wants.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Scot102938

I have a Droid 2 and have compared it to the iphone. How is it "noticeably cheap"? Because it isn't painted white?

It's made of brushed aluminum. It doesn't have a front facing camera or "retinal display", and the camera may arguably be "worse". However, it has faster hardware, more storage, a much more open marketplace, etc.

I suppose if you have superhuman site or are your average wannabe photofile, then it's nicer. However, no matter how good of a picture you take on your phone, it looks like garbage compared to my Rebel, which is the entry level model.

bhamx2

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
at the end of the day apple has marketed their products so well that so many people perceive them as 'cool' and therefore must have. This effectively acts as a smokescreen against some of its downfalls ie closed operating system and inferior specs to some other smart phones.

Don't get me wrong apple products like the iphone, touch, mac's etc are worthwhile depending on what your looking for.

I just think the market share would be a whole lot different without the apple 'cool' smokescreen

G

to zak_the_greeat....I think the comparison is fair, mobile os to mobile OS regardless if it's OPEN SOURCE or not. If it's on a mobile phone it should be compared...talk about putting your head in the sand.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Well, not a fanboy of Apple, but I must say that my experience using the Samsung Capactivate was not very pleasent. I got the Samsung after purchasing/upgrading to the iPhone 4... After continued issues with drop calls etc, I decided to go to a google phone... well as soon as I open the box the unit doesn't support international keyboards, languages, and fonts. It did not have comparable applications and half the applications on the google market place was crap.

Needless to say the google phone went back and I got my iPhone 4 back. I might not like the fact that apple products have signal strength issues, but at least it has support for international keyboards and fonts.

Amen2That

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Many of the over-hyped, under-performing iPhone killers in years past (e.g. Sprint Instinct, LG Voyager, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia N95) paled in comparison and didn't even compete in the same class. Android phones, especially top end phones running Froyo, are the first phones of equal or better class (depending on your needs and preference) than iPhones. Price-wise, with a 2yr contract, the top Androids cost the same as an iPhone 4G. So why are people choosing them over the iPhone? Could it be that people are actually buying Android phones because they are *BETTER* AND can be had on their choice of networks.

It's no surprise Android is gaining traction against its iOS & BlackBerry OS powered counterparts.

hypocrisyforever

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
I replaced my iphone 3g of 2 years with the new EVO 4g. Listen, this thing is amazing. As for "ease of use", I don't think that is why anyone buys a droid OS phone. It's about raw capability. There are a ton of small nuances with the phone that the iphone just doesn't have. The simple fact of having different home pages, so I can just hit one button to toggle: 4g, wifi, gps and bluetooth. I agree whole heartedly that for up to 2 years after the Iphone was released, there were NO phones that could compete. However, the field is 100% even, and it is a choice for the customer to make. Do you want ease of use and total compatibility of the Iphone, or do you want the raw potential and speed of the new Droid phones. Also, if anyone has an iphone and is thinking about switching to the EVO, I say it is 100% a good decision. This thing is the killer. Oh, and last thing, I can actually make clear calls on it without disconnecting. After 2 years.....it's a good feeling.

G

Actually, iOS still has a far larger installed base (which is what Comscore attempting to measure) than Android.  

Comscore's figures include all the Android Tablets that are forced to include cell phone hardware because Google doesn't allow devices without phone hardware to include access to the Android Marketplace. 

In contrast, Comscore excludes the iPod Touch and the iPad from their figures. Otherwise the marktshare of iOS would be three times greater than Android. 

Of course developers, consumers and advertisers want to know the total size of the audience for each OS
platform, not just the smaller subset that happens to have a phone.  

-Mart

geossj5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
i dont get how there can be a comparison in this area??

saying android sales went up and iphone/bb sales went down is like saying Windows 7 sales went up and Macbook sales went down? :/

obviously an OS which runs most of the smartphones today will have more numbers than a proprietary device with their own OS

if they compared something like Droid X sales and iPhone 4 sales theres more merit in that

btw FYI im not supporting Apple in any way.. so ya

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
We will not get a true sense of which phone OS is more desirable until Apple releases the iPhone on Sprint, Verizon, and t-mobile. Apple has really shot itself in the foot with this silly AT&T exclusivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.