Android Flaws Allow Secret Malware Install

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]all programs have secutiry flaws, heck throw firesheep up in a publis place andsee what everybody using the wifi (on an iphone or a droid.. or a laptop for that matter) is looking at... there's fanboy sin every area... just ignore thier comments and move on. as far as the article at least they fgound the exploit and have shown it so it can be patched making android mroe secure... me i'll stay with my obscure WebOS palm pre .. most people won't bother making malware for us because there are so few of us[/citation]

Sure they found the vulnerability but at the end of the day people still root the thing. Security through obscurity only lasts so long but it does work even if for a little while.

G

@ap3x

you were doing well until you said "This is the reason why their approval process makes sense.....", actually it makes no sense other then to leverage control over what they like you to see, if they were performing an exhaustive code audit then yes, but we talking hundred of thousands of apps at last count (talking about millions of lines of codes there), maybe im wrong but i believe apple does not have the resource to audit that many apps, the best they can do is have an auto script filter out illegal calls (which really is pants)

saying apples app approval process improves app security is like saying intimate x-ray scans improve air travel security, iOS is as vulnerable to malicious apps as android is, it's just alot harder to know what a iOS app is doing thus harder to determine if it is malicious or not

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Groov[/nom]newsflash: android is a giant, leaky, piece of shit OS that can't even beat iPhone 4 with better hardware. if you all are techy nerds, then you would want the best tech product: iphone. other than that, you're just buying because you're a fanboy/anti-fanboy[/citation]

HAH!!!!!!

Sorry... can't help but laugh. iPhone the best product....

I guess a Mac is the best PC out because it cost 2x more....

Ahhh thanks for making my day.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Could you qualify that statement? How is IOS's easier to hack than any other OS. Care to explain? Your statement contradicts itself a bit by saying that "Apple try's to hide the fact by severely limiting the apps". If that is the case, how do you know? What do the Apps have to do with the security of the OS itself? You install a malicious app, then you will have malicious code executed. No brainier to me. This is the reason why their approval process makes sense although it could loosen up a little. From a security perspective make allot of sense. You don't hear about IOS devices getting rooted.Funny thing is, in the hacking world, rooting any device is considered owning the device. Typically without blowing the system away the root kit can't be removed very easily. Dropping a root kit allows you almost full access to the device. The only reason why allot of people here seem to think it is not a security flaw in Android is because it gives them access to customize and have full reign over the OS easily. What is really means though is that the Andriod OS security is virtually non-existent.Groov's statement was a bit colorful and I do not necessarily agree with him but there are parts of it that is true. There is a reasons why the Android devices have not taken off in the enterprise and it is related to security. This is FACT. Blackberry's are still prevalent and IPhone has been gaining lots of momentum in the enterprise. Windows Mobile device where in there but everyone stopped buying those things years ago. We will see what happens with WM7 but right now. BB and IP[/citation]
People have been rooting iPhone's for some time now. Ever heard of someone having multitasking on an iPhone 3G (before iOS 4 came out)? How do you think they got it? It wasn't difficult at all to do either. As for Android, many manufacturers have taken steps to block rooting or at least make it very, very difficult. Motorola is most notable for this along with HTC on the T-Mobile G2. While it may still be possible to root devices that are hardware locked it's certainly not something the average employee or individual would do.

Android is simply better at blocking malware attacks from malicious apps than iOS is. I'm not sure why enterprises are more concerned about Android security than the iPhone's security because Apple has had a very checkered history when it comes to security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS