Android L for Galaxy S5 Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
I'm not a fan of TouchWiz, either. I've used Go Launcher EX since I first got an Android phone and love the customization it allows. While this may streamline things and make it somewhat smoother, I don't see this as being dramatically different enough to be implemented across the Samsung line. I'm pretty sure they'll stick with their proprietary setup even if this is a tad better.

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012

I'm an Apex launcher fan myself. That said, I avoid any sort of manufacturer skinning like the plague. Touchwiz can be nice, but the reason I've refrained from buying a tablet is because there's no real possibility of getting rooted android on it, and therefore being rid of the customized skin.

I find touchwiz is a bit more convoluted than necessary, especially in the settings menu. I do however appreciate they let us use a retail mode, since I used to have to keep changing the tablets from whatever language an ignoramous had left it in. Now they can't change the language!

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
I like go launcher, and apex just fine on my s5, but currently running adw cuz I'm really liking this cyanogen theme. Tried touch wiz for about 3 minutes, before looking for something better, just seemed like the menus were about as well thought out as a screen door on a sub

Eoxys Games

Estimable
Oct 4, 2014
I have always been a good user of Solo Launcher and it is always good. I'm going to try TouchWiz. Just saw some Thumbnails of it in Google Market, but did not find it that good. Wanna try though.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

I didn't even wait that long. As soon as I got my N3, I was already DLing GLEX. I do believe I've tried the other two you've mentioned but went back to GL due simply to familiarity. I'm just glad we have to ability to alter the system's appearance somewhat since I'd go out of my mind with boredom if stuck with iOS.

pit_1209

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
You know what? all this guys here are right, they have opened my mind to new frontiers, we should dumb that stupid android OS once and for all.
Look those buttons, that stupid material design maybe the L means loser, who knows.

I now know the truth, maybe the most available, less intrusive, customizable smartphone OS it´s just BS that we don´t even want in the first place, yeah, I´m moving to iOS or better to Windows Phone 8, that UI it´s just that good that microsoft just throw it in all our faces and don´t even ask why, it´s that good. I know those have "some cool transitions, great looking textures, customizability and stuff". Look iOS, 10 million people can´t be wrong, that´s why I say f"#$ you google.

Colin Lee

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

The launcher is just an app, the ROM is the actual operating system. I'm afraid your question makes no sense at all.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

If you want to partake in the thrill, if any, of potentially bricking your phone over simply downloading and using an app instead.... sure, take the custom ROM leap. I'm for the safe and simple, but that's just me. I could really care less about the bloat that's on my phone but you may feel differently. Either way, good luck.

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012

Dependent on the sort of actions you're taking, about the only thing you can meaningfully do to brick a phone is flash the wrong phone radio or the wrong phone's kernel.

Otherwise it's pretty form-perfect to do; then again, I've been using Nexus devices explicitly for this reason.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

Personally speaking, I still don't believe it to be worth the risk. To each their own, of course... but I don't think it's really all that worth it.

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012

I was like that, but then I bit the bullet and realized how simple it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.