Android Malware - unable to remove

George Smyth

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2014
I have got a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android version 4.4.2.  Recently, on an occasional basis, when opening an app (it might be going to Facebook, it might be opening Score, it is not consistent) I am first taken to the Google Play Store and Uber has been selected for me to download.  It does not happen every time, but several times a day.  I have AVG and Clean Master on the phone and neither are finding any problems.  I have even tried downloading the Uber app and this still happens.

I am not knowledgeable about such things and have no idea where to turn.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks -

george

Solution
I think when you import everything back you can do a selective restore so you can select not to restore your old apps, just media and contacts .

lfkfkfkffs

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
I would just backup your contacts and transfer your photos and do a factory reset. Depending on how much stuff you have the backup will take 15mins to an hour. Then when you do the factory reset you will just need to apply all the updates again and install apps that you actually use. you can also try using lookout to scan and secure your device. I just recommend it because it works well, has anti theft features, and normally is included from Cellphone providers. But for the most part I recommend to most people the factory reset for issues like yours.

George Smyth

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2014
Google backs up my images and I use Google's contacts. It is my understanding that if I do a factory reset then Google will reload my apps and then I would just need to okay updates as they are noticed.

Is this correct? If so then I will go ahead and do that, as I have no other alternatives coming my way.

george