Android Market Surpasses 100,000 Apps In Stock

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]Between the 2 stores, 400,000 apps....Maybe 300 worth buying/loading.......[/citation]

hehe and 299 are from android market

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
100,000 or 300,000; there's going to be crap in both those markets.

Even if the Android market had 500 apps in there, if they're all great and are properly useful, then that to me is better than 300,000 in someone else's store.

Sturgeon's Law in, according to Wikipedia, it's original form:
I repeat Sturgeon’s Revelation, which was wrung out of me after twenty years of wearying defense of science fiction against attacks of people who used the worst examples of the field for ammunition, and whose conclusion was that ninety percent of SF is crud.[1]

Using the same standards that categorize 90% of science fiction as trash, crud, or crap, it can be argued that 90% of film, literature, consumer goods, etc. are crap. In other words, the claim (or fact) that 90% of science fiction is crap is ultimately uninformative, because science fiction conforms to the same trends of quality as all other artforms.

In the case of app markets, it seems to me that a lot more than 90% of the apps are not worthy of serious attention.

Oscarcharliezulu

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
The number is important from a marketing POV to show that they are competitive with Apple. Otherwise, yep, 100K apps, a handful of great ones, mostly shit. Same in the Apple App Store.

G

Nokia Ovi store hits 3 million downloads/day with less than 10K applications!! Is number of apps a criteria to achieve more downloads?? •

Status
Not open for further replies.