Android More Popular than iOS, and Symbian

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Wow all I can say is what a great job Google did with Android.
Microsoft is having one hell of a hard time getting into the big boy market and sure it's been making mobile devices for years but they took so long to release their newest iteration that they're stragglers now.

G

Yes. Free OS given to every manufacturer who wants to load it on all their devices works. Better yet when its subpar hardware sold cheaply. The Free OS is working to win market share.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
They shipped the most phones in the quarter, but those percentages are for % of phones sold. Not overall marketshare (installed base) which they still trail several of those other makers in. It was discussed in great detail already after the quarterly results were reported by all parties that even if Android shipments increased by over a hundred thousand per DAY up from 375.000 to reach 500,000 and all the others stopped growing and remained flat, (which there is no sign of them doing anything but growing in shipments also) it would take well over a YEAR to catch up to the installed base of Apple phones let alone Nokia.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]They shipped the most phones in the quarter, but those percentages are for % of phones sold. Not overall marketshare (installed base) which they still trail several of those other makers in. It was discussed in great detail already after the quarterly results were reported by all parties that even if Android shipments increased by over a hundred thousand per DAY up from 375.000 to reach 500,000 and all the others stopped growing and remained flat, (which there is no sign of them doing anything but growing in shipments also) it would take well over a YEAR to catch up to the installed base of Apple phones let alone Nokia.[/citation]
Growth rate=popularity, which is what the article is about.
What do you expect, it's a highly customizable OS with plenty of tweaks available. Every individual who want the feeling that he/she owns the smartphone they have will pick Android.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Every individual who want the feeling that he/she owns the smartphone they have will pick Android.[/citation]

Well said, I was going to say something similar in my original post but had trouble thinking of a way to make it make sense.

G

Given the world's current economic problems, it's encouraging to see how Android's rising tide has lifted the boats of so many mobile vendors. And now the same thing is happening at the regional US carriers, as they leap headfirst into Smartphoneland. Employees at Samsung, Motorola, HTC, and even Sony-Ericsson should send thank-you cards to Mountain View. ;)

G

Kudos to all the Android ecosystem.

Innovation kept us far above the competition.

The more the competition denies what is obvious, that Android innovates, the less chance they have of overtaking Android. To solve a problem you first have to recognize it. The competition (Apple) still is in the denial phase, like Microsoft was when iPhone came along. That is good, the more it takes to acknowledge defeat, the easier it is to over come them.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
True, but when discussing market share the delta is more important than the installed base. It dictates the market direction. Also, I don't think there is any argument that Apple has a very large base right now ... but then again they were in the market longer by several years than Android. Androids growth of 600+% 2 years in a row I think points towards what was seen in the early days of the Mac/PC wars. Mac lost that fight, took a little while but cheep PC's with Dos/Win 3.1 ended up winning the war with a very similar environment.

1pp1k10k4m1

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Wow, this is probably the most pointless article I've seen on Tom's in a week or so. I guess when they aren't grabbing week-old news from Gizmodo or Engadget they dig this stuff up.

That aside, iOS ships on 1 phone, the iPhone; Android is being flooded into the market on an increasingly countless number of phones, is it really all that surprising? It's actually more common sense than anything else, I'm a bit surprised it took this long. Google says Android shipments increased 615%, and Apple about 85%. Now, it seems Apple has to ship (in present form and for half of the last year), one of two phones, 3GS or 4G (and 3GS and 3G for the other half of the year) over one wireless carrier, AT&T in the US, so they experience a 85% growth over two phones at any given time about 42.5% per phone, again, on ONE carrier. Google has to ship one of about 121 devices (according to Wikipedia as of Jan 31, 2011) (11 more have been released in Jan 2011 alone) phones over multiple carriers, or about 5.08% growth per handset model. Apple has had far more growth, to the tune of 8 times, per handset model. Apple just finished posting a company all-time record profit last quarter, shipping more iPhones and iPad's than ever. I doubt Google can say they posted a company record profit with handsets or tablets being a significant part of that, maybe in advertising.

This article doesn't really paint a very good picture of what is actually happening in the market on a basic level. It uses an inflated, spun statistic to get android fan boy's jollies off. I have both an iPhone 3GS and Droid 2 handsets, so I'm not bashing either company in and of themselves; this is just very poor journalism and somewhat unrepresentative of the actual market snapshot. Looks more like someone had a deadline to meet than actual thoughtful consideration, hence the reason such a complex stat is almost completely ignored (i haven't even covered it completely), and what could be pages long of good analysis is 6 sentences, one of which is a terrible run-on-made-paragraph.

tempelife

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
The article is just comprised of statistics. It isn't trying to pontificate a point or manipulating data. Apple has had more growth per handset is obvious as well considering there is no choice for handsets with iOS. Apple can do their thing, I just don't support companies that are so proprietary in nature. Ultimately, it's bad for the consumer if a company like Apple gets on top of an industry and no one can catch up. They'll browbeat you, until you submit. I don't care that Apple exists, I just don't won't want to live in Apple's world. If I set my personal and business life up on Apple products (knowing what a pain migrating to different platforms can be), I'd be reliant solely on Apple for all technological advances and their prices. I'd rather have a choice of getting a Motorola Atrix, LG Optimus, or whatever HTC is cooking right now. Customer loyalty is completely overrated. I go with what I perceive as the most beneficial product for me at that time which includes being able to expand, customize, etc. Apple would just inhibit me in so many ways. Android growth is impressive though not really surprising. We seen this movie play out with PC and MACs, VHS and Beta, etc. I don't think it will end as badly this time for Apple, but their growth has peaked. Not necessarily in raw number, but in percentages of market share penetration. I'm far from the only one who thinks like this.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Oh wow! The iSheep are in full-spin mode! "Oh the iPhone is only ONE PHONE!! You can't compare it to all the other smartphones." Hey, guess what? You can. It's a smartphone, there are other smartphones. Compair and contrast sales and figures. One runs Android OS, one runs iOS. There's a quote from Me, Myself and Irene... "I purposely distort my perceptions to make my reality more palatable." If that doesn't sound like a Steve Jobs' groupie, I don't know what does.

Oh tender and loyal iSheep. Go amongst your flock and spread word that you've been beaten in the desktop arena (thanks to the "we know what's best for you" attitude), you got smashed in the server market, iPod sales are stagnant, quality control is down; antenna issues, glass lawsuit, exploding batteries, warping cases on laptops, white iPhone 4... I could go on. I know you look at these facts (and yes... they are indeed facts) and think I'm just hatin on Apple. Deny facts and spin them to make what you believe in your collective brain is the truth. It is, however... not.

Android is going to dominate the mobile space with phones and tablets and Windows is only getting better. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

John_C

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
1pp - No, it isn't surprising that "countless phones" using Android outnumber iPhone sales by a lot. In so many ways, this is just PC versus Mac revisited with Cupertino once again poised to lose a market that they pioneered. If these trends continue, why would any app develop write for anything but Android? And if all the innovation and all the apps are there, then why buy anything else?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]1pp1k10k4m1[/nom]Wow, this is probably the most pointless article I've seen on Tom's in a week or so. I guess when they aren't grabbing week-old news from Gizmodo or Engadget they dig this stuff up. That aside, iOS ships on 1 phone, the iPhone; Android is being flooded into the market on an increasingly countless number of phones, is it really all that surprising? It's actually more common sense than anything else, I'm a bit surprised it took this long. Google says Android shipments increased 615%, and Apple about 85%. Now, it seems Apple has to ship (in present form and for half of the last year), one of two phones, 3GS or 4G (and 3GS and 3G for the other half of the year) over one wireless carrier, AT&T in the US, so they experience a 85% growth over two phones at any given time about 42.5% per phone, again, on ONE carrier. Google has to ship one of about 121 devices (according to Wikipedia as of Jan 31, 2011) (11 more have been released in Jan 2011 alone) phones over multiple carriers, or about 5.08% growth per handset model. Apple has had far more growth, to the tune of 8 times, per handset model. Apple just finished posting a company all-time record profit last quarter, shipping more iPhones and iPad's than ever. I doubt Google can say they posted a company record profit with handsets or tablets being a significant part of that, maybe in advertising. This article doesn't really paint a very good picture of what is actually happening in the market on a basic level. It uses an inflated, spun statistic to get android fan boy's jollies off. I have both an iPhone 3GS and Droid 2 handsets, so I'm not bashing either company in and of themselves; this is just very poor journalism and somewhat unrepresentative of the actual market snapshot. Looks more like someone had a deadline to meet than actual thoughtful consideration, hence the reason such a complex stat is almost completely ignored (i haven't even covered it completely), and what could be pages long of good analysis is 6 sentences, one of which is a terrible run-on-made-paragraph.[/citation]

Everything you're saying hardly testifies in favour of Apple, the fact they keep everything to themselves makes them liable to have such a comparatively bad market share. Google spread their OS to anyone willing to take it and mould it into their products and now Android is the OS of choice with the most choice.
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Have you tried writing for your beloved Android? Google can't even make a unified OS to run on all devices, every manufacturer makes whatever they want with the phones and you end up with a wide range of devices incompatible with each other even though they run the same OS. Did you know Angry Birds DOES NOT run on 30 android devices? Some of them new. How is an independent developer going to go around this issue other than buying every Android phone out there to test his application? And what about that crap Android market place that Google know it doesn't do it's job. And another issue that plagues the Android platform, piracy, it's easier to install a pirated applications than it is to buy them. So you still wonder why developers prefer iOS instead, one build to run on Ipod 2n generation, 3rd generation, 4th generation, Iphone 3G, 3GS, 4, and Ipad. The only thing you need to worry about is resolution, and nothing more.[/citation]

Ah yes, the old Angry Birds argument. I assume you read the Rovio CEO's tweet regarding coding for Android? It came out of when Lord Jobs made the same argument quoting Angry Birds as an example with made up remarks from the CEO. This tweet detailed how he had never said Android was harder to code for than iOS and that they liked coding for Android.

By the way, iOS is resolution independent, therefore iOS developers don't need to worry about it, everything scales as it should to each screen. While a point in favour of iOS, a point against you as it shows you don't know what you're on about.

PS - I currently am coding for Android, it's a piece of piss, anyone who thinks otherwise may need to re-consider what they want to do as a career.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Its a lot harder to make money on Android apps. Fragmented OS versions, easy piracy, rubbish app store, I wont be bothering unless it improves.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]Its a lot harder to make money on Android apps. Fragmented OS versions, easy piracy, rubbish app store, I wont be bothering unless it improves.[/citation]

Sure its harder to make money on android apps, its a more open system that results in attracting a lot of skilled coders who gladly share their time/knowledge to their fellow phone owners rather than try to rape them for $$ for super simple apps. If you want to succeed on the android app market you need to actually work for your money, and looking at human nature i bet its easier to push the blame elsewhere than lazyness!

Status
Not open for further replies.