Solved! Android phone(Pixel3A) keeps opening random websites every time I open my phone

Feb 6, 2021
Random pages keep opening up on my android 11 Pixel 3A. Initially observed this in Chrome. Android 11 is most up to date.

Steps I have tried so far
1. Clear the History, Cache, Disabled(Chrome)
2.Uninstall and reinstall Chrome
3.Tried network resetting.
4. Installed antivirus Avast and did a full scan, no issue found.
5.Uninstalled Avast and installed antivirus Kaspersky. Did a full scan, no issue found.
6.Uninstall anti virus and installed Malwarebyte. Did a full scan, no issue found
7.Uninstall Chrome and installed Firefox.

After all these steps and a couple of repeats the issue still persists. I had like 15 random pages opened when I last checked.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: Hydra119
Solution
Seems fairly obvious that you have either some malware or an app causing this to occur. Have you examined your installed applications to see if one of them is the culprit?

Is there a common theme/type of the sites being opened?

So finally I think I found the solution.

There was an app "Files" that I found in the installed apps list for which I could not get any information . There are no details known about it online. It is version r_aml_30150600.

I uninstalled and I am not having the issue any more. The browser is not opening any more random pages.

Thanks for your insight @COLGeek.

Thanks.
Feb 6, 2021
Thanks. I will be checking apps. I dont remember downloading any apps other than from playstore.

The sites mostly being opened are
[all spam/scam sites removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hydra119
Feb 6, 2021
Seems fairly obvious that you have either some malware or an app causing this to occur. Have you examined your installed applications to see if one of them is the culprit?

Is there a common theme/type of the sites being opened?

There was an app "Files" that I found in the installed apps list for which I could not get any information . There are no details known about it online. It is version r_aml_30150600.

I uninstalled and I am not having the issue any more. The browser is not opening any more random pages.

Thanks.

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Thanks.
Glad to help. Enjoy.