Android Phones OR Windows Phones?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Android Smartphones OR Windows Smartphones?

• Android Smartphones

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Windows Smartphones?

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

I would love to but I can't find the option to choose the best answer. May be bcoz I started a thread & its different section than Questions!

shadovraven

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
There's no need to use a tutorial, unless you have to update using Odin. You can update it using OTA, you'll be notified that there's upgrade if you'll connect to the internet. You can also update using KIES, you just need to connect device via usb cable and start application. It will search for update and will notify you if there's update available.

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 NOT Available:

Just returned from the market. Its weird that there was not even a single shop which have Galaxy Ace 2. :( They say its an old smartphone and hard to find now. I know some online shops are selling it, but I can't rely on them as their service is not so good, like Amazon etc.

shadovraven

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
I think the best way would be to go to the market check what kind of smartphones you can get in your price range and then write it here.

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
OK, I've checked the local market, and realized that in most part of the market, the shelves are mostly filled with either Nokia/Samsung, or Huawei. (Other Big Brands with NO Warranty are not seen much around).

Here are the options:

In Samsung: Samsung Galaxy S Duos. (20,000 My price)
In Nokia: Nokia Lumia 520 (About 20,000 My Price)
In Huawei: G510

In Samsung, after S Duos, the Next smartphone that comes in warranty is Samsung SIII Mini, which is a bit high priced. (33,500 My price)

I've checked some reviews on S Duos, and realized it has weak hardware.

Now I'm thinking, will it be wise to choose S Duos? Or a Nokia Lumia? What you suggest?

Also please if you can draw a rough between Android and Windows Phone, that WHAT Exactly I will lose (from Nadroid), if I pick a Nokia Lumia?

I know my usage may not be affected if I pick a Nokia Lumia, but still 1 thing keeps teasing me that the Flow is now towards Androids (Not towards Windows Phones).

Please share your ideas?

Thanks.

shadovraven

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
S Duos has very weak hardware compared to Lumia 520. It's excatly the same that Xperia J has, which I explained before. By choosing Windows Phone you'll lose a lot of applications available on Android and possibility to freely customize or even change your system (though S Duos doesn't have a lot of custom roms). What you'll gain? Definitely a quality and performance which is far above S Duos. G510 is much better choice compared to S Duos, offers better hardware and much bigger (4,5 inch ) IPS screen and it has official Android 4.1 installed. Even though I don't like Huwawei I'd propably choose G510 in your situation.

You have to take in account that Android systems have much bigger lifespan and support from developers. Android 2.1 is 4 years old already but still there's support for it in some applications.

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Huawei is not so famous and I've heard a few bad things about it, Like they have a massive claim on warranty as many people have issues with their phones, and the Jelly Bean they are using in G510 is not the original Jelly Bean, Huawei has made some modifications to it and as a result the OS itself is unable to utilize the powerful hardware of the phone. And if we try to replace it with the original Jelly Bean, warranty goes void.

In this case where a Reasonable Samsung (ANDROID) phone is way beyond my budget, and a Budget phones in Nokia (like Lumia 520/620) are Windows Based (which are Discouraged by many including you) and Not willing to Buy a brand like Huawei with compromised performance, I'm now thinking again to get a Sony Xperia (Though without Warranty) but in my budget and an Android.

So at the moment I've a couple of Options like

Sony Xperia Sola
Sony Xperia P

We alerady talked about Xperia U & J and they're no more in consideration.

Sola is a bit cheaper (22,000) and P a bit expensive (26,000). Comparing the performance of both, which one would you recommend? If I decide to pay 27,000, will it be worth the money comparing the performance? What is the catch?

Thanks.

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Or even in this tight situation, I'm also thinking to increase my budget. So may be I can get a Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini or Galaxy Grand. I think the prices of both are quite close. 33,000 (mini) & 35,000 (Grand)

bruce20

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

shadovraven

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
If you can increase your budget, I'd definitely get SIII Mini. It's the best from the three you had put into comparison. I'd avoid Grand because it has hardware similiar to SII Plus, which is crappy Broadcom chipset.