AndroidBox or Laptop

thejorge

Prominent
May 6, 2017
I want to know why/if I should buy an android box and Kodi to improve my TV, video streaming experience. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I'M MISSING. I have an older but very fast laptop that I use just as my entertainment hub ($165 and it's a backup in case my main computer screws up). It is hardwired to my router and HDMi to my TV. I have a small wireless mouse and keyboard to control from the couch.($30). I use an indoor antenna ($20) to receive the main local stations I want live. Here is how I use this setup. Please explain what I'm missing by not using an android box...or do I have it all covered?

- My only monthly $$$ is for the internet..$40..unlimited download 35 Mps Vancouver BC ( and no extra $$ for Netflix etc.)
- There are enough online resources to stream "any' MOVIES and TV shows I want to see. Options like Netflix release movies and TV months down the road..vs the sites I use that shows movies that are still in theatres and TV shows the very next day it aired...if not sooner. I just save the link to the TV shows' main page that I like so I can access all my favourite shows with one click of my mouse.
- There are numerous resources to watch LIVE SPORTS anywhere in the world. I will admit that streaming live sports is not the best quality. 40% of it is HD but most other games are similar to 1980s reception quality. Still very watchable and doesn't cost me anything...even for big boxing PPV. Some buffering and drop off issues...but not often. Small issue considering no costs and I can access ANY game in the world, for example, I had live access to every court during Wimbledon.
- Since it is a computer, I have the advantages/features of that aspect versus an Android box hooked up to my TV for things like ....saved sites to stream music (just audio or with videos), youtube, social media (since a number of people use my TV...I even created a separate facebook page and email just for that entertainment laptop hub to receive ongoing information/notifications I care about) It's great for pausing a movie and accessing IMBD in 2 clicks to review things or people about that movie.
-And as mentioned above, I have an internal antenna to receive all the LOCAL TV stations I care about..usually, the ones that carriers call basic the TV Package that they charge $20 ++ / month.

So...DO I NEED AN ANDROID BOX and Kodi...am I missing something?

I know my setup cost a bit more to put togehter...but I "think" it does more and it's also my backup computer in case mine blows up... so I would have the laptop, keyboard, mouse anyways...so not "extra" cost.

...and I can also take to someone's place or on vacation if I want to stream all this somewhere else.

Thanks for any feedback you can give me...before I shell out more $$$ for an Android box.

Solution
I wanted to try KODI so I installed it in my laptop thinking that I would get an android box if I liked it.
Turned out I was just fine with the laptop. Video quality on a good laptop is likely to be better than a cheapo android box. Maybe an Nvidia Shield has comparable graphics but I doubt the others do.
The only advantage might be if you wanted to stream 4k HDR content which a laptop won't do. No HDMI 2.0 or HDR support.
I wanted to try KODI so I installed it in my laptop thinking that I would get an android box if I liked it.
Turned out I was just fine with the laptop. Video quality on a good laptop is likely to be better than a cheapo android box. Maybe an Nvidia Shield has comparable graphics but I doubt the others do.
The only advantage might be if you wanted to stream 4k HDR content which a laptop won't do. No HDMI 2.0 or HDR support.

Solution

thejorge

Prominent
May 6, 2017

Thanks for your feedback. I don't see 4D in my future ...so I guess I'm doing ok with what I have going on now. So no need to purchase an Android box and setup all the KODI stuff.