Angry at Verizon lack of disclosure - can I exchange this phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2018
Long story short - I tried to hold out until next year's new models to replace my constantly troubled old HTC phone. But then my husband's LG became a doorstop, and he needs it daily, so we had to shop.

We were supposed to let me do the research, present the info, and make a decision together.

Instead he stopped at Verizon yesterday to ask some questions and, sure enough, came home with 2 "new" phones.

I am beyond angry because he came home with two Google Pixel phones. The ORIGINAL Google Pixel. Which was discontinued in April 2018 and (for good reason) isn't even SHOWN on the Verizon website!!!

I don't know exactly how this went down but those jerks charged him $ 576 apiece on their plan!!! These phones aren't even worth $ 200 apiece!!!

I'm so angry I could punch a wall. They suckered him because they could.

Do I have any recourse to reverse this sale?

Dec 6, 2018
Also, even though I have not done anything with the phone but received 1 phone and exchanged 1 text, it says my phone has 29.4 MB of data usage starting yesterday, and 104 MB of wifi data usage between 11/8 and 12/6.

WTF? I have not downloaded today's Android update yet. They didn't download any of my contacts or anything. Is there any way that the Verizon store used up **all those mbs** just in putting my phone number on this phone?

Or did they sell my husband a USED phone as NEW?

Dec 6, 2018
hang-the-9 that's what I figured. But I haven't bought a phone in 4 years and don't know what they do to initialize the phone and make it ready for use, so you could you look at my next comment and tell me what you think about that usage?

Dec 6, 2018

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a "reply" button before posting my next question, so I'm using it now in case that's what I need to do to get your attention. Thanks!

The data usage would not be from the phone but from the plan. The several MB of usage is not much, could have been from the time you had it. Apps download updates, phone checks location, other services use data. Should be able to see if the phone is used pretty easily by the shape and how the packaging was.

Dec 6, 2018
OK thanks you two. I guess that usage could be from my husband, though that's a lot for him for less than 24 hours.

The box has so much shelf wear it's hard to tell if it was something someone returned quickly (like I'm planning to ) or if it's just been hanging out there for two years.

I just don't understand how they get away with selling a 2 year old discontinued phone like this. In fact, even though today's Pie 9.0 update showed up on in my messages, the phone itself is only *guaranteed* to get Android updates until October 2018 - two months before it was purchased. Security updates guaranteed until October 2019.

So almost $ 600 for a phone that has a "use by" date for 10 months from now. *facepalm*

Dec 6, 2018
Also, would either of you want to make a recommendation as to what *actually* NEW phone to buy?

I had done my research on purchasing a phone outright because I wanted to spend around $ 300, not $ 600+ as the ones on the payment plans cost.

Seems like my husband would rather pay more for a phone and make monthly payments. So any comments about the Galaxy S9 vs the Pixel 3 would be much appreciated.

My husband does not want an iPhone, and I'd prefer we have the same phone for simplicity's sake, so iPhone isn't an option.

I personally don't use my phone for much. Would I likely to be happy with the Moto Z3?

The Moto z3 looks to be $500, not sure I would go with any phone for that much unless it was at a heavy discount due to a contact. Are you with Verizon already? Last time I did an upgrade I got a free Samsung S7 with a 2 year contract extension, since I had no intention of switching from Verizon anyway, I got a free phone.

My limit on a phone is about $200, too easy to break/lose/get stolen/go out of date (not that I ever lost any phones, but if I did, I would not miss a free or cheap phone. If I just blew $500 on something that I dropped in a puddle, I would be a bit upset). I just get two gen old higher end models for people. Better than new $200 phones and way cheaper than $500 new phones that are better but not that much better. For me, good is good enough, I don't go for a new device because it takes better pictures if what I have also takes good pictures.

Dec 6, 2018

I'm like you. I don't need the latest and greatest features. The problem I'm seeing is that operating systems and apps are continually updating, rendering an older phone obsolete. Not being able to upgrade an ops system to handle upgraded apps is something I ran into with my old HTC Razr - though to be fair, I've had the thing for 6 years, which is REALLY old for a smartphone. I couldn't install newer or upgraded apps at all. I don't much use them, and I don't really care about photo quality.

Were there any available (they're sold out) this exact original Google Pixel used is $ 179 on Gazelle.com. They just charged us $ 576. That's just too big of a gulf for me to swallow. Especially since this phone will have nil trade in value.

When I was going to buy a phone earlier this year, I was going to look at the used Galaxy S7s. But then I decided to wait, and now that the Galaxy 10 will be out in less than 6 months, it doesn't seem smart for me to go with older than an S8. What I *really* wanted to do was buy a new, ~$ 200-250, Moto or Galaxy J7. I'd still like to do that - the only thing is my husband needed a phone right away, so on impulse he went with a payment plan phone he could walk out of the store with.

The higher end models will be getting updates for quite a while, my son has a Samsung S5 I got for about $100 and every app works fine on it.

Looks like the Moto Z3 is on a discount there to $250, that is not a bad deal, $10 a month if you check their site. Better than the older Pixel at double the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.