Angry Birds: No Money In Android Market

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsbsbsbs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
I find this whole situation dumb. If angry birds was released on the Android for lets say $2.99, I would have bought and so would have MANY other people.

Instead we get a free version with Ads. How long did they think people wouldn't figure out how to stop the ads? Download Adfree for rooted devices and hey presto ads are gone.

So who really won here? The consumer and Rovio purely missed out what seems to be free $$$

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]la rider[/nom]I'd prefer to pay for Angry Birds then see the stupid ads on the bottom. I didn't get a choice when Angry Birds was released for Android.[/citation]

This is a key point. They never tried to charge for angry birds. I would have paid for it without a second thought.

So basically "Developer gives away game and does not make money" does not suprise me.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Reading article....
Thinking....
Hmmmm....
This is true :D
Android is a far better OS but not attractive for paid apps developers.
I hope google will think of a way to solve this matter.
If this is solved..iOS will die in matter of days.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]woofster[/nom]The HD7 is available for free, but you need to pay £35 a month for 2 years. That's rather similar to the iPhone cost don't you think?Neither phone are what you would call "cheap". You're talking about £840 over 24 months for the HTC HD7 (O2, £35 per month), and £820 over 2 years for the iPhone 4 (3 network £30 per month, £100 upfront), That means the HD7 is more expensive...suddenly the iPhone isnt quite as expensive as people make out.[/citation]
To my knowledge you can spend those £35 on calls. So at the end of two years you had £840 to spend on calls. On the iPhone you can spend £720 on calls, £120 less than the HD7. But hey, even though you get 14% less money to spend on calls in the end it was 2% less expensive including the price of the phone and communications. So the iPhone isn't cheaper.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]JimmiG[/nom]Well, Android users tend to be smarter than iPhone users, so they will look for free or cheaper alternatives before buying an app. Also, piracy may be hurting sales more on Android. It's more "open" so it's easier to bypass copy protection and find pirated apps.[/citation]
I am not sure about the smarter part. I know bunch of numbnuts that got the Android phone so they can be on the cool bandwagon, but guess what... going for Android did not make them any smarter, no matter what the local anti iOS trolls spew on the net.

G

Android user here and I rarely will buy an app. 3 conditions must apply... 1 the app should be by a reputable and significant maker, something official usually.... 2 the app needs to have an actual purpose... and 3 obviously the app needs to be well designed and working properly. I think the difference being seen here is that iPhone users want apps and will pay for them, kind of like a druggie wants meth and will do anything for it. Android users aren't so desperate and care more about functions that are useful. Who cares about Angry F-ing Birds!! It is a fad, not really something life altering. After completing the game I'm glad I didn't spend money on it. Why would people spend hundreds of dollars per year on silly virtual/imaginary things and games for their phone? If you really wanna play a game get an X-box or PS3. Android users are more than willing to PAY for an app that has a purpose and substance. The user experience with the OS/web/music/photos/ and email are so much more important than apps are. -Rex D in Lakeland, FL

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Piracy is far easier on Android too. They really need to tighten up control and maintain a single app store model like Apple.

Both OS have pros and cons, claiming one is superior in every way just shows ignorance.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
That game is available as flash game for free, and I don't play it, because is too boring.

I'ts just marketing hype, and this is just more hype.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Sad, just as Angry Birds became popular they released it free on Android. If he had tried posting it for $1 before putting it up for free it might have sold. His app had a movement and didn't really give it a chance, most other app developers might have been in the no money on Android boat but he let it it sail before it had a chance.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Translation: Apple users are much more apt to throw their money away carelessly on junk they don't need, as evidenced by the Apple products they buy.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Gentz told me that he just does not believe that Android users will pay for apps like iPhone users do

Is he really saying iPhone users are stupid enough to spend money on crap? LOL Obviously, many Apple fans are... different from the rest of us anyhow. Yes?

"It's not a bad antenna. I'm just holding it wrong. Really... look it works now." (Apple addict proving to friend his money was well spent)

G

God, after reading these comments, I guess it's true, Android users really are a belligerent bunch of assholes. How many developers have to make this same comment before you'll get off your high horses and admit that, yes, the android experience has problems. Your beloved "open" platform is an illusion that allows the carriers to do whatever they please to your phone and leave you with a fragmented POS, no wonder no one buys the apps, who knows whether they will actually run properly or not.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Every new device needs freeware on it, and a lot to start with. So that there are so many free apps on android actually speak more of it's success. This guy is just angry (imagine that) because he's not making the fortune he thought he would on the android market. More great free apps means more users that platform will attract, the more users the higher chances of paying customers. The android platform is here to stay for some time and to think that it will not be profitable is very very short sighted.

fahad27

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Hi People, if you want add free Angry Birds just switch off WiFi and Mobile Network. It works for a lot of apps.

G

I bought quality apps from market, but not silly games, like angry birds, which I removed after 5 minutes of try.

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
All this means is that Android users are just more choosy when purchasing apps, and that Apple users will probably buy a $25 app if it looks shiny.

Hail the distinguished, discriminating Android user.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I will tell you what it is ... it's that Mac or Apple users are willing to pay for software, especially if it is decent.

If you look at the the average PC user, and then compare to the average Mac user ... I am willing to be 5:1 that the PC user has more illegal software. So, what does all that mean? You can likely figure it out. Hence the "no money" in Android market.

Status
Not open for further replies.