Anichos desire to purchase 2012s ultimate ultrabook

Anicho

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hello TH Members,

I am looking for an Ultrabook to suite the needs below, was hoping for a helping hand :D. Thanks in advance.

1. What is your budget?

£4000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Ultrabook size, nothing large then 14 inches, nothing smaller then 13inches. Not fussed about weight.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Highest possible for an ultrabook.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

No

5. How much battery life do you need?

Atleast 5-7 hours a day doing stuff like general browsing, responding to emails etc... editing word documents.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Maybe but highly doubt it this is purely for browsing and odd bits and bobs.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Already explained above.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Would love 256gb SSD.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

None.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2-3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

None, I am clouded up! with some virtual clone drive in my arsenal and isos whoop.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

It's all about quality of the product, and I know companies shift in quality all the time.

Brans I have had good experience with, Dell, HP, Alienware, Mesh, Asus others I am always willing to try.

Sony is a no go for ultrabooks.

13. What country do you live in?

United Kingdom

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Im bringing sexy back?

15. Support options

Im a techy if it breaks I wanna fix it myself, this is just to help me find the best ultrabook not really sure and can't find any guide on it.

Anicho

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
I am thinking shall I wait for more releases of the latest intel architecture hmmz.... The zenbook ux32vd is my type of portable computer.

cl-jeffrey

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
The latest intel available is the 3rd Gen Ivy Bridge. A lot of the ultrabooks have the 3rd Gen processor inside with a SSD. Not sure when the the new Intel processor will come out but may be awhile. If you wait a little longer maybe all laptops will come with SSD drives with ivy bridge processors.

Anicho

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(microarchitecture) shows your correct in the 3rd gen ivy bridge, the only problem is how many ultrabooks actually have like the 3920xm or the 3820qm?

I will probably have to wait. If nothing by October I will probably settle for the zenbook. Still contemplating waiting for haswell but intel has a yearly release schedule if I keep waiting I will end up never buying one! Thanks for your inputs!!! Zenbook is looking more and more likely.

randomhkkid

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
If you want power and size why not get the Retina Macbook Pro it's 2kg and is plenty powerful while staying thin and having a "Retina" Screen.

Anicho

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Arghhhh haha sorry randomhkkid I am just not a macbook fan, and for some of the things I would like to do the mac just wouldn't be able to support my preferences.

Oh and before you try to convince me I used to manage several mac servers with couple hundred mac machines I know what they can and can't do for me :D.

randomhkkid

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
lol don't worry I'm not one of those "Windows sucks" guys. Ultrabooks tend to only have dual core processors, the only one I can think of that has a quad core is the Vaio Z... However you already stated that it is a no go, personal preference?

cl-jeffrey

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
The 3920xm and 3820qm look like they are in notebooks for gaming but not ultrabooks. Looks like it's in the Dell and ASUS but the price is pretty high.

If you google the processor model number and put at the end laptop they will show you which laptop carries this beast.